Integrating with Negative Signs: Effects on Solutions

In summary, while trying to find the arc length of y=ln(1-x2) on the interval [0,0.5], two different solutions were found depending on whether the formula for arc length was simplified or left as is. One solution was 0.5 - ln3 and the other was -0.5 - ln3. This discrepancy could be due to the effect of squaring numbers.
rizardon
While working on an integration problem I found that I will arrive at two different solutions depending on how I approach it.

I'm finding the arc length of y=ln(1-x2) on the interval [0,0.5]

The formula for finding the arc length is ∫sqrt[1+[f'(x)]2]dx

So f'(x) = -2x / ( 1-x2 )

Here I first simplify this to 2x / ( x2 - 1 ) and squaring gives

4x2 / ( x2 -1 )2

Working from here I end up integrating from 0 to 0.5

∫ [1 + 1/(x-1) - 1/(x+1)] dx = 0.5 - ln3

On the other hand if I leave f'(x) as it is without simplifying, when I squared f'(x) I get

4x2 / ( 1-x2 )2

and end up integrating from 0 to 0.5

∫ [1 + 1/(1+x) + 1/(1-x)] dx = -0.5 - ln3

Should both have the same solution or is this simply a possible effect from squaring numbers?

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Note that when taking the square root of the perfect square in your denominator, you must use the ABSOLUTE value, |x^2-1| as your new denominator.

Likes 1 person

1. How do you add numbers with a negative sign?

To add numbers with a negative sign, you can simply follow the standard addition process. However, when adding a negative number, you will need to subtract that number instead. For example, -3 + (-5) = -8.

2. Can you multiply two negative numbers?

Yes, you can multiply two negative numbers. When multiplying two negative numbers, the resulting product will always be a positive number. For example, (-4) x (-3) = 12.

3. What happens when you divide a positive number by a negative number?

When dividing a positive number by a negative number, the resulting quotient will always be a negative number. For example, 12 / (-3) = -4.

4. How do you subtract a negative number?

Subtracting a negative number is equivalent to adding a positive number. You can simply change the subtraction sign to an addition sign and the negative number to a positive number. For example, 7 - (-2) = 7 + 2 = 9.

5. Can you have a negative exponent?

Yes, you can have a negative exponent. A negative exponent indicates that the base number should be divided by itself raised to the positive exponent. For example, 2^-3 = 1 / (2^3) = 1/8.