M+k=n: Examining Linear Equations Relationships

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the number of linearly independent columns (m), the number of free variables (k), and the total number of columns (n) in a system of linear equations. The speaker also mentions the concept of rank and the solution space. The conclusion is that for the given problem, m + k = n holds and the dimension of the solution space is equal to n - rank(A). The speaker also considers the possibility of this relationship being true for all systems of linear equations, but notes that this may not always be the case.
Let b be the vector such that B = [A b] , and let a1, a2, a3 and a4 be the columns of A.

Let m be the number of linearly independent columns of A, let k be the number of parameters (free variables), and let n be the total number of columns in A. In our example above, n = 4.

Do you suppose that this relationship m + k = n will be true for all systems of linear equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid I don't recognize the notation "the vector such that B = [A b]". What does it mean?

um, well A is the co-efficient matrix of the system, and B is the augmented matrix of the system, b is just the answer column of the linear equations.

Yes, m + k = n should hold, since m = r(A).

"Do you suppose that this relationship m + k = n will be true for all systems of linear equations?"

No.

Edit:
I misread k. My fault.
In the problem as stated there are n unknowns.
In the context of Gaussian elimination, they fall into
two groups, free and basic. In the stated problem
they are k and m, respectively. Their sum equals n,
i.e., k+m=n. This is a trivial result. I suppose that's
what fooled me. I guess I was expecting a "trick" question, or maybe something with a little more substance.

I might add that in the case ~(b=0), the solution *set* is not a "space" (in the vector space sense). It should properly be called a linear manifold.

Last edited:
Yes, if P is the solution space and r(A) is the rank then:
dimP = n - r(A)
outline of proof: (r=r(A))
First we can put the matrix A into row-echelon form, now the number or non-zero rows is the rank.
If v = (t_1, ... , t_r, ... , t_n) is a solution then the vectors {t_1, ... , t_r} are all linear combinations of {t_r+1, ... , t_n} . If
t_1 = C_11*t_r+1 + ... + C_1n*t_n then it's possible to write the general solution as:
t_r+1 (C_11, C_21, ... , 1, 0, ... , 0)
:
:
t_n (C_1(n-r) , C_2(n-r), ... , 0 , ... ,0 ,1)
since all these n-r vectors are also linearly independent they are a base to the solution and so dimP = n - r(A)
In this case dimP = k, r(A) = m so m+k = n

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation that involves two variables, usually represented as x and y, and follows the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. This equation represents a straight line when graphed.

2. How do you solve a linear equation?

To solve a linear equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to get the variable by itself. The solution to the equation is the value of the variable that satisfies the equation.

3. What is the relationship between m, k, and n in the equation m+k=n?

In the equation m+k=n, m and k are both coefficients that represent the slope and y-intercept of the line, while n represents the output or dependent variable. The equation shows that the output is equal to the sum of the slope and y-intercept.

4. How can linear equations be used in real-life situations?

Linear equations can be used to represent and solve problems related to various real-life scenarios, such as calculating the cost of a taxi ride, determining the growth of a population, or predicting the sales of a product. They can also be used to create models and make predictions based on data.

5. What is the importance of studying linear equations?

Studying linear equations is important because they are one of the fundamental concepts in algebra and mathematics. They can be used to solve a wide range of problems and are the basis for more complex equations and concepts. Understanding linear equations can also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.