Is Google Chrome faster than Firefox and Internet Explorer?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chrome
In summary: I have been using Chrome for a few days now and it is really fast. I like how it is integrated with my Google account so I don't have to remember different passwords for different sites.In summary, Chrome is a faster, more secure browser that integrates well with Google accounts.
turbo
Gold Member
I downloaded Google Chrome this morning and am giving it a try. It seems a bit quicker at loading pages than FF or IE.

I'd like to mute the color of the blue window frame, but there seems to be no option to do that, at least until some open-source developers get their hands on it.

Computer science news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
I downloaded Google Chrome this morning and am giving it a try. It seems a bit quicker at loading pages than FF or IE.

I'd like to mute the color of the blue window frame, but there seems to be no option to do that, at least until some open-source developers get their hands on it.

I plan to, but I think the no pop-up blocker thing is problematical for me. It spikes my blood pressure all those pop-ups I never want to see jumping in my face.

Article on 10 things wish list.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10033296-2.html?tag=txt

I'd like to try it, but currently it's only available for windows.

I downloaded it but haven't used it much. nor do I think I will. I'm an IE pro fan.

LowlyPion said:
I plan to, but I think the no pop-up blocker thing is problematical for me. It spikes my blood pressure all those pop-ups I never want to see jumping in my face.

Article on 10 things wish list.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10033296-2.html?tag=txt
It blocks pop-ups on XPSP3 and let's you know about each one if you choose.

I've been thinking about getting it since I heard about it. I really like Opera though and it always annoys me trying to figure out how to navigate options in new programs and finding out that they won't let me do the things I am used to being able to do..

Kurdt said:
I'm an IE pro fan.

You are going to that special place in hell for geeks that prefer microsoft products. Bill will meet you at the gates.

TheStatutoryApe said:
You are going to that special place in hell for geeks that prefer microsoft products. Bill will meet you at the gates.

Sheesh! Say you like anything Microsoft and you're instantly assumed to be evil. :rolleyes: :tongue:

Kurdt said:
Sheesh! Say you like anything Microsoft and you're instantly assumed to be evil. :rolleyes: :tongue:
I use IE and it's great.

Evo said:
I use IE and it's great.

We all already knew you were evil. Its in the name.

TheStatutoryApe said:
We all already knew you were evil. Its in the name.

They all going to hell! :cool:

IE = Institutionalized Evil

I think I'm going to like chrome and I wonder who put the dutch spelling checker in the quick reply box in chrome here.

You'll all be changing your tune when Bill Gates write loyal customers into his will. :devil:

TheStatutoryApe said:

Easy now, Google could be the next MS ;)

IE8 is not too shabby. I like chrome, but until they release a new version with something actually revolutionary, it will remain be my third option.

I'm alternating between Chrome and FF3 right now, and will try Chrome in chat tomorrow to see if there is any browser-related reason that I keep getting booted. So far, it's FF3, Chrome, and IE7 in that order. I haven't yet upgraded to IE8. Is there any improved functionality/security moving from 7 to 8?

Microsoft are claiming its better all round. Personally I prefer the design of IE7 to IE8. I don't think there's any reason to rush over turbo.

Thanks, Kurdt. I don't usually jump on MS upgrades as soon as they are available. They always make claims of "improvements", but usually they don't translate into something that means a lot to me, and there are sometimes bugs. I let others be the MS guinea pigs, if possible.

One nice thing about Chrome is that you don't have to mess around clicking a little arrow (etc) to get a history of the browser session. If you click and release on the Back button you go back one page, but if you click and hold for a fraction of a second, a browser history box opens up, letting you go back to any sites visited during the current session. If you select "full history" from that history box, you get a REALLY comprehensive history listing, so if you navigated to a page, found something helpful and then accidentally closed the page, you can find it again in seconds, even days later.

turbo-1 said:
One nice thing about Chrome is that you don't have to mess around clicking a little arrow (etc) to get a history of the browser session. If you click and release on the Back button you go back one page, but if you click and hold for a fraction of a second, a browser history box opens up, letting you go back to any sites visited during the current session. If you select "full history" from that history box, you get a REALLY comprehensive history listing, so if you navigated to a page, found something helpful and then accidentally closed the page, you can find it again in seconds, even days later.

Don't most web browsers work like this already? (In Firefox to get the session history you click the tiny arrow to the right of the "back" button.)

At work we've roughly tested the performance of Chrome vs IE in javascript processing, and Chrome was faster by a significant factor (5-10 times as fast). One reason is that Chrome uses a Virtual Machine for javascript (called V8) which enables optimization and better performance. V8 is actually open source and available separately for anyone wanting to do their own browser:
http://code.google.com/apis/v8/intro.html

I've downloaded Chrome today and I find it fine. It's much faster than Firefox 3 or Internet Explorer. But I won't do a definitive switch (I prefer Firefox) mainly because it doesn't have many add-ons and because I don't know it that well to use it as I would like.
But I was curious since I read it was fast, I wanted to see if it was true and to me it was.

1. What is Chrome and why should I use it?

Chrome is a web browser developed by Google. It is known for its fast loading speeds, user-friendly interface, and various features such as tabbed browsing and incognito mode. It is also regularly updated to improve security and performance.

2. Is Chrome compatible with all devices and operating systems?

Yes, Chrome is available for download on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android devices. It is also compatible with most operating systems, including Windows, macOS, and Linux.

3. How does Chrome compare to other web browsers?

Chrome is one of the most popular web browsers and is known for its speed and efficiency. It also offers a wide range of extensions and apps to enhance browsing experience. However, the best browser for you may depend on your personal preferences and needs.

4. Is Chrome secure?

Chrome takes security very seriously and regularly updates its security features to protect users from malware and phishing attempts. It also offers additional security options such as Safe Browsing and an option to clear browsing data.

5. Can I customize Chrome to my liking?

Yes, Chrome allows users to customize their browsing experience through various themes, extensions, and apps. It also offers options to change default search engine, homepage, and privacy settings. These features make Chrome a highly customizable browser.