If objects are accelerating, are we measuring the systems getting smaller?

In summary, the discovery that the universe is expanding means that we are seeing the systems become harder to see. Observational tests to affirm this hypothesis are more practical than waiting for a measurable change in distance to occur.
NWH
What the title implies, with the discovery that the universe is expanding, are we observing the systems becoming harder to see? You'd think that with the speed of the objects and the distances involved, things like brightness and actual size would be getting reduced...

Space news on Phys.org
What observational test would you propose to affirm that hyposthesis?

NWH said:
What the title implies, with the discovery that the universe is expanding, are we observing the systems becoming harder to see? You'd think that with the speed of the objects and the distances involved, things like brightness and actual size would be getting reduced...
Well, yes, but on human time scales, the differences are so miniscule as to be inconsequential.

Consider, for instance that we imagine that a galaxy that is one billion light years away is traveling at 0.1c away from us (this is just a number I pulled out of my backside...it's probably way, way wrong, so don't take it seriously).

Now, at this distance, if we wait for ten years, the galaxy will be a whole extra light year further away. One light year out of a billion. So sure, it's getting further away, and therefore dimmer and smaller. But it's just not going to be noticeable.

I find it hard to understand how the change is insignificant and can't be tested. Say for example, one of our planets fell out of orbit and started flying out of the solar system. We'd noticably see the object getting smaller and fainter, the further it got from the Earth. Now, if these distant objects are large enough and bright enough to be seen, and are accelerating away from us at such high speeds, why can't it be detected exactly?

If I take a picture of an apple, I can use the ammout of pixels in the image to determine it's apparent size in relation to another image of the same apple in which it is further away. Can't that same idea apply to this concept given that the image was at a high enough resolution to mark out noticable change?

NWH said:
I find it hard to understand how the change is insignificant and can't be tested..

The Hubble Law change in distance amounts to 1/140 of one percent every million years.

We can't measure distances to far-off galaxies with an accuracy of 1/140 of one percent, instruments and techniques are not even close to that level of precision.

But if we could determine distances to 1/140 of one percent, then your idea would work. We could just wait a million years and see if the distance changed (by brightness and size clues, just as you suggested!) But that is obviously impractical.

There are better ways to test Hubble Law expansion than what you propose (waiting for a measurable change in distance to show up). I hope you don't find this so hard to understand now. Your idea is impractical by a factor of about a million, to put it simply.

Last edited:
I see, thanks. It's hard to comprehend how insignificant it actually is, when we're talking about enormous bodies, at enormous distances and enormous speeds. You'd think you'd see at least something, puts into perspective just how BIG this universe is...

1. If objects are accelerating, does that mean they are getting smaller?

Not necessarily. Acceleration refers to a change in an object's velocity, which is its speed and direction. The size of an object is not directly related to its acceleration. However, certain objects, such as particles, may experience a decrease in size as they accelerate due to the effects of relativity.

2. How does acceleration affect the size of a system?

Acceleration does not directly affect the size of a system. The size of a system is determined by its individual components and the forces acting upon them. However, acceleration can indirectly impact the size of a system by causing changes in velocity and movement of its components.

3. Can an object's size decrease without experiencing acceleration?

Yes, an object's size can decrease without experiencing acceleration. Changes in size can occur due to other factors such as compression, expansion, or chemical reactions. Acceleration is only one factor that can affect the size of an object.

4. How do we measure changes in an object's size as it accelerates?

Changes in an object's size can be measured using various methods, depending on the type of object and the level of precision needed. For example, the size of a particle can be measured using techniques such as scanning electron microscopy, while the size of a larger object can be measured using rulers or calipers.

5. What are the implications of objects getting smaller as they accelerate?

The implications of objects getting smaller as they accelerate can vary depending on the context. In certain situations, such as in the field of particle physics, this phenomenon is expected and accounted for. However, in other cases, such as in engineering or everyday objects, unexpected changes in size due to acceleration can cause malfunctions or structural issues.