What is the Meaning of Neutron Scattering Length?

In summary: It is 2016. The scattering length is a physical property that is related to the existence of bound states. The sign of the scattering length is related to the energy of the bound state. The energy of the bound state can be found from the scattering length.
manesh
what is the physical meaning of the scattering length of neutrons? What does mean -ve scattering length( for instance for 'H' !)?? :smile: :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mmm scattering length, perhaps i am having a language problem but to be honest i do not really know what you mean. The angle along which an incident particle is scattered off at some target particle gives you an idea of the strength of the interaction going on. Info on mass, charge and nuclear composition can be gained through such experiments.

In QFT things like scattering amplitude are used very often, but i do not know whether you are referring to this specific concept...

marlon

I'm going to take a jab at this, but maybe what you want is the concept of a mean free path. Typically this is proportional to the avg statistical length a particle can traverse in a medium before its absorbed or emitted. Of course the constant of proportionality depends on what medium you are talking about (say lead)

There are other closely related lengths particle experimentalists use. Like the avg length before a hadronic shower, etc etc

I am sorry..
I think you people didn't understand my question..
If you have a beam of nuetrons falling on a thinfilm the neutrons will get scattered. The strength of the scattering is proposional to the scattering length(the neutrons feels a Fermi potential, which is propotional to the scttering length of the neucleus, which is a constant for an atom). But the value of the scattering length for neutrons is different for the isotopes of the same element...for instance for H and for D the values are different. This difference is used in the isotopic substitution for contrast matching in neutron scattering experiments. ..more comments about scattering lengths are welcome..like the sign etc..
cheers :redface:

manesh said:
what is the physical meaning of the scattering length of neutrons? What does mean -ve scattering length( for instance for 'H' !)?? :smile: :smile:

If I recall, the sign of the scattering length is related to the existence of bound states. A large positive scattering length signals the presence of a shallow (E near zero) bound state. A negative scattering length means that there is no bound state. The enrgy of the bound state can be found from the scattering length (it goes like [itex] - {\hbar \over m^{} sl^2}[/itex], if I recall correctly.

As for the meaning of the scattering length "ls" , if one considers low energy scattering, then the cross section (which will be isotropic, i.e. an S-wave) will be entirely determined by the energy of a shallow bound state. The cross section is essentially [itex] 4 \pi^{} sl^2 [/itex], iirc.

Anyway, I haven't looked at this concept in ages so take all this with a grain of salt!

Pat

Physical meaning of scattering length, (nothing to do with mean free path)

For low energies of the incident particle the details of the scattering potential are unimportant, only how the potential looks from far away. This is because at low energies the particle is not going to actually touch the object producing the scattering potential. The scattering length is a measure of how far from the potential the details become important.

This is similar to multipole expansion in electrodynamics. Two positive charges from far away will look like a single particle with twice the charge.

In regards to the other responses, with all due respect, if you don't think you have the answer you really shouldn't post, because the original person is going to have to look somewhere else anyways to be sure. At least try and look it up the answer first to at least know if your answer is not the correct one. Thanks.

sarhas said:
with all due respect, if you don't think you have the answer you really shouldn't post,

Your lecture is coming five years too late. Take a look at the date of these messages.

1. What is neutron scattering length?

Neutron scattering length is a measure of the average distance that a neutron travels through a material before it is scattered. It is a fundamental physical property that is used to study the structure and properties of materials at the atomic level.

2. How is neutron scattering length measured?

Neutron scattering length is typically measured using neutron scattering experiments, where a beam of neutrons is directed at a material and the resulting pattern of scattered neutrons is analyzed. The distance between the neutron source and the detector is then used to calculate the scattering length.

3. What is the significance of neutron scattering length?

Neutron scattering length is an important parameter in the field of materials science as it provides valuable information about the structure and properties of materials. It is also used in various research fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to study the behavior of particles and atoms in different materials.

4. How does neutron scattering length differ from other scattering lengths?

Neutron scattering length differs from other scattering lengths, such as X-ray or electron scattering lengths, because neutrons have no charge and interact differently with materials. This allows for unique insights into the atomic and magnetic structures of materials that may not be observable with other techniques.

5. Can neutron scattering length be manipulated?

Neutron scattering length is a fundamental property of neutrons and cannot be directly manipulated. However, it can be indirectly affected by changing the properties of the material being studied, such as its density or composition. Neutron scattering experiments can also be designed to specifically measure certain aspects of the scattering length, providing more detailed information about a material's structure and properties.