Exploring the Physical Significance of Graph Intercepts in Photocell Experiments

In summary: The significance of the intercept of the x-axis is that is represents the threshold frequency, but there is no y intercept, so does that signify that there can be no Ek until the threshold freq. has been reached?Yes, the y-intercept signifies that there can be no energy until the threshold frequency is reached.
salsabel
Can some help me to solve this question
I have no idea where to start
a) What is the physical significance of the intercept of the graph with the frequency axis (x-axis)?
b) What is the physical significance of the intercept of the graph with the kinetic energy axis (y-axis)?
c) Use the graph to determine the value of Planck’s constant
d) In a similar experiment, the cathode of the photocell is replaced with a cathode that has a stronger force of attraction for its electrons. Describe how a graph of kinetic energy against frequency would be
i. Similar to the given graph
ii. Different from the given graph

Attachments

• graph.doc
    128 KB · Views: 313
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have no idea where to start, them I'm afraid we cannot help you. You must have some idea of how to start. Have you read your class notes/text on the subject matter?

Hootenanny said:
If you have no idea where to start, them I'm afraid we cannot help you. You must have some idea of how to start. Have you read your class notes/text on the subject matter?

I am working on the same question right now. First off, I am a little confused as to what they are asking in parts a) and b)... As far as part c) goes I tried the following method to determine h (Planck's constant) :

E=hf therefore,

h=E/f

So referring to the graph, at 3 eV (4.8 x 10^-19 J) the f is 10 x 10^14 Hz

h = 4.8 x 10^-19 J / 10 x 10^14 Hz
h = 4.8 x 10^-34 Js

This does not make sense as Planck's constant, as we know, is 6.63 x 10^-34 Js

Can anyone shed some light on these issues? Thanks!

E does not equal hf; it equals hf-W, where W is the work function of the metal.

I think parts a and b are pretty clear. The equation of the line in the graph is E=hf-W, so what do the intercepts represent?

ideasrule said:
E does not equal hf; it equals hf-W, where W is the work function of the metal.

I think parts a and b are pretty clear. The equation of the line in the graph is E=hf-W, so what do the intercepts represent?

So the significance of the intercept of the x-axis is that is represents the threshold frequency, but there is no y intercept, so does that signify that there can be no Ek until the threshold freq. has been reached?

There IS a y-intercept. It's negative and doesn't represent an actual electron, but it does have physical significance.

Again, look at the equation of the line: E=hf-W

ideasrule said:
There IS a y-intercept. It's negative and doesn't represent an actual electron, but it does have physical significance.

Again, look at the equation of the line: E=hf-W

I'm hitting a brick wall here... I'll start with what I know for sure:

h is constant, and f cannot be a negative
With f=0, the y-axis will be negative the value of the work function

So does the y-intercept represent the work function? (in the negative plane of course)

Yup, it's the negative of the work function.

Perfect. So how would I prove Planck's constant without knowing the exact work function? Should I just use the value for W from the graph? Because it would be close but not exact...

i would looooove to know the answer to c) & d). i figured out a) & b)!

What is Physical Significance?

Physical significance refers to the meaning or importance of a physical quantity or phenomenon in a given context. It involves understanding the relationship between physical concepts and their real-world applications.

Why is Physical Significance important in science?

Physical significance is crucial in science because it helps us make sense of our observations and experiments. By understanding the physical meaning of our results, we can draw meaningful conclusions and make accurate predictions about the natural world.

How do scientists determine the Physical Significance of their findings?

Scientists use various methods to determine the physical significance of their findings, such as mathematical equations, experimental data, and theoretical models. They also consult with other experts in their field to validate and interpret their results.

Can the Physical Significance of a concept or phenomenon change over time?

Yes, the physical significance of a concept or phenomenon can change as our understanding and technology advances. For example, the physical significance of energy has evolved as we have discovered new forms of energy and their applications.

What are some common misconceptions about Physical Significance?

One common misconception is that physical significance is subjective and can vary from person to person. However, physical significance is based on scientific evidence and is not influenced by personal opinions. Another misconception is that physical significance is only relevant in physics. In reality, it is important in all scientific disciplines, including biology, chemistry, and earth sciences.