What are the different materials used in a spring shock absorber?

In summary, the conversation is about designing a shock absorber for a project and the person is asking for advice on the materials to use for the various components. They have already designed it on Solidworks and have labeled all the parts. They have also selected a material for the spring and are looking for suggestions for the other parts. A reference to a spring mass damper system is also mentioned.
taureau20
I am to design a shock absorber for my project. Pl tell me what material the various components would be made of. Just gimme any rough idea you would have or just make a wild guess Anything! I just need a start and then I will take it from there.

I have designed the thing on Solidworks but do not know what material to apply to various parts. I have labelled all d parts in following diagram. (I have already selected the material for spring so you may omit that one.) See the exploded view of the shock absorber here:
PLAIN]

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
taureau20 said:
I am to design a shock absorber for my project. Pl tell me what material the various components would be made of. Just gimme any rough idea you would have or just make a wild guess Anything! I just need a start and then I will take it from there.

I have designed the thing on Solidworks but do not know what material to apply to various parts. I have labelled all d parts in following diagram. (I have already selected the material for spring so you may omit that one.) See the exploded view of the shock absorber here:
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r278/kush_arora/explodedviewfullassembly.jpg][/QUOTE][/PLAIN]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_absorber[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
look up spring mass damper system.

1. What is a spring shock absorber?

A spring shock absorber is a mechanical device used in vehicles to absorb and dampen the impact of bumps and vibrations on the vehicle's suspension system. It helps provide a smoother and more comfortable ride for passengers and protects the vehicle's components from damage.

2. What are the different materials used in a spring shock absorber?

The most common materials used in spring shock absorbers are steel, rubber, and various types of oil. The coil springs are typically made of steel, while the shock absorber body and piston are often made of aluminum or steel. Rubber is used for the bushings and seals, and oil is used in the hydraulic system to absorb and dissipate energy.

3. How do the materials used affect the performance of a spring shock absorber?

The materials used in a spring shock absorber can greatly impact its performance. Steel is strong and durable, making it suitable for the coil springs and other load-bearing components. Rubber is flexible and can help absorb vibrations and noise. Oil provides the necessary damping and helps dissipate energy, but the type and quality of oil used can also affect the performance of the shock absorber.

4. Are there any other materials that can be used in a spring shock absorber?

Yes, there are some alternative materials that can be used in spring shock absorbers. Some manufacturers use composite materials, such as fiberglass or carbon fiber, for the shock absorber body to reduce weight and improve performance. Some high-performance shock absorbers also use gas, such as nitrogen, instead of oil to provide better damping and faster response times.

5. How do I choose the right spring shock absorber for my vehicle?

Choosing the right spring shock absorber for your vehicle depends on several factors, including the weight and type of your vehicle, your driving style, and the terrain you typically drive on. It's best to consult with a mechanic or do some research to find the best shock absorber for your specific needs. It's also important to regularly maintain and replace your shock absorbers as needed to ensure optimal performance and safety.