Disappearing equation in math type

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with equations not displaying properly in a journal template in Word, but displaying correctly in a regular Word document. The expert helps the person understand the issue and provides step-by-step instructions on how to fix it by changing the paragraph spacing. The person thanks the expert and acknowledges that English is not their first language.
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see if I understand your problem -- you cannot see equations when you add them to a document using the journal template, but when you use Word without a template you can see the equations. Is this correct?

I'm not sure what the problem could be. MathType 6.7 definitely works in 64-bit Windows 7; in fact, that's the environment in which I use it. I opened both your document and the journal template, and could see equations in both. For example, in the template there is an equation in paragraph 3.3.

Can you re-state your problem and give more details? Also, what version of Word are you using?

bobm said:
Let's see if I understand your problem -- you cannot see equations when you add them to a document using the journal template, but when you use Word without a template you can see the equations. Is this correct?

I'm not sure what the problem could be. MathType 6.7 definitely works in 64-bit Windows 7; in fact, that's the environment in which I use it. I opened both your document and the journal template, and could see equations in both. For example, in the template there is an equation in paragraph 3.3.

Can you re-state your problem and give more details? Also, what version of Word are you using?

That's Ok you understand my problem correctly. please insert a equation in other section of template, then you can see problem.
thanks

Ok, I think I understand a little better, but when you say you "can't see" the equations, surely you don't mean they are totally invisible, right? Because that's what "can't see" means. (I realize English isn't your first language, so I'm not bashing you for that; I'm just saying that's the reason for our miscommunication.)

Here's what I see when I insert a "display equation" (i.e., an equation in its own paragraph) directly beneath paragraph 4; I'm assuming you're seeing something similar:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23309305/equation-1.gif[/CENTER]

This is a fairly common occurrence in Word -- the page/template designer sets the paragraph leading (the vertical distance from one line in a paragraph to the other) to an exact point value, rather than simply Single, which is the default. In your template, for example, whoever designed the template set the paragraph line spacing to be 12.2pt -- which is normal for 10pt text, which the template uses. The trouble comes when you put something larger than 10pt -- an equation for example -- into the paragraph or into a new paragraph.

The way around this is to leave the paragraph spacing set to this value except for paragraphs where it cuts off part of the equation. To change it, in the Paragraph group of the Home tab, click the "dialog box launcher" (that's the small triangle in the lower-right corner of some groups). This will bring up the Paragraph dialog. You'll notice in the Spacing section, the Line spacing is set to Exactly 12.2pt. Change this to At least 12pt (setting it to Single will probably work just as well). Click OK and you're on your way. You can do this for every paragraph that uses the Normal style, but that will probably make a change the journal doesn't want, so it's best to just change the paragraphs you need to. (BTW, these instructions are for Word 2010, and may vary slightly for other versions, but the same basic procedure will work in any version of Word.)

Here's the same paragraph & equation with spacing set to "At least 12pt":

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23309305/equation-2.gif[/CENTER]​

Last edited by a moderator:
bobm said:
Ok, I think I understand a little better, but when you say you "can't see" the equations, surely you don't mean they are totally invisible, right? Because that's what "can't see" means. (I realize English isn't your first language, so I'm not bashing you for that; I'm just saying that's the reason for our miscommunication.)

Here's what I see when I insert a "display equation" (i.e., an equation in its own paragraph) directly beneath paragraph 4; I'm assuming you're seeing something similar:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23309305/equation-1.gif[/CENTER]

This is a fairly common occurrence in Word -- the page/template designer sets the paragraph leading (the vertical distance from one line in a paragraph to the other) to an exact point value, rather than simply Single, which is the default. In your template, for example, whoever designed the template set the paragraph line spacing to be 12.2pt -- which is normal for 10pt text, which the template uses. The trouble comes when you put something larger than 10pt -- an equation for example -- into the paragraph or into a new paragraph.

The way around this is to leave the paragraph spacing set to this value except for paragraphs where it cuts off part of the equation. To change it, in the Paragraph group of the Home tab, click the "dialog box launcher" (that's the small triangle in the lower-right corner of some groups). This will bring up the Paragraph dialog. You'll notice in the Spacing section, the Line spacing is set to Exactly 12.2pt. Change this to At least 12pt (setting it to Single will probably work just as well). Click OK and you're on your way. You can do this for every paragraph that uses the Normal style, but that will probably make a change the journal doesn't want, so it's best to just change the paragraphs you need to. (BTW, these instructions are for Word 2010, and may vary slightly for other versions, but the same basic procedure will work in any version of Word.)

Here's the same paragraph & equation with spacing set to "At least 12pt":

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23309305/equation-2.gif[/CENTER][/QUOTE]

Thanks so much. My problem is solved. As you said, my first language is not English. I am sorry for my poor English. I am trying to be stronger in English.​

Last edited by a moderator:
That's no problem -- your English was good enough so that I eventually figured out the problem. Glad to help.

What is a disappearing equation in math type?

A disappearing equation in math type refers to an equation that is no longer visible or accessible in a document or software program. This can happen for various reasons, such as a formatting error or a technical issue.

Why does an equation disappear in math type?

There can be several reasons for an equation to disappear in math type. Some common reasons include incorrect formatting, software or system errors, or accidental deletion of the equation.

How can I retrieve a disappeared equation in math type?

The method for retrieving a disappeared equation in math type may vary depending on the specific software or platform being used. In general, you can try using the "undo" function or checking for any saved versions of the document. If those options do not work, you may need to recreate the equation manually.

Can a disappearing equation be prevented in math type?

While it is not always possible to prevent a disappearing equation in math type, there are some steps you can take to reduce the likelihood of it happening. These include regularly saving your work, using proper formatting techniques, and avoiding any potential software or system errors.

What should I do if I encounter a disappearing equation in math type?

If you encounter a disappearing equation in math type, the first step is to remain calm and try to troubleshoot the issue. This can include checking for any saved versions of the document, using the "undo" function, or seeking assistance from a technical support team. If all else fails, you may need to recreate the equation manually.