Linear Accelerator Basics: Understanding Drift Tubes and Forces

In summary: Just to clarify.The drift tubes are spaced equally apart. BUT the electrons speed up in between the tubes so surely the distance between the tubes should increase as does the length of the drift tubes.In summary, the drift tubes are spaced equally apart, but the electrons speed up in between the tubes so the distance between the tubes should increase as well as the length of the drift tubes.
jsmith613

Homework Statement

Could someone please fill in the gaps in my knowledge about Linear Accelerators.

The drift tubes are spaced equally apart. BUT the electrons speed up in between the tubes so surely the distance between the tubes should increase as does the length of the drift tubes

What ensures no force is felt inside the tubes? and what causes the force on the electrons between the tubes?

If I get this I will hoepfully understand Linac's but may come across a few more questions later.

Thanks for any help

Homework Equations

NONE

The Attempt at a Solution

NONE

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no electric field E in the hollow of the tubes but there is an electric field E between the tubes.
Remember that electric force = Eq

Last edited:
would it not be better so put it like this (I've been doing a lot of reading about).

no force acts inside the tube as the electrodes are equally attracting in all directions so the electrons continue moving in their initial directions.

Half way through the tube the AC voltage on the drift tube changes and the electron is repelled from the tube it is in and towards the next tube.

Only when it is outside the drift tubes does the electron experience an electric field that causes it to accelerate?

is that a better way to think of it?

jsmith613 said:
The drift tubes are spaced equally apart. BUT the electrons speed up in between the tubes so surely the distance between the tubes should increase as does the length of the drift tubes

I guess you are talking about a multi MeV electron accelerator.

You should note that accelerators consist of an initial stage (or series of) in which there may be stages where the drift tubes are of different lengths. However, at some large fraction of c, it is no longer true that the electrons will speed up (or at least, to a degree that causes them to desynchronise with the fields). In other words, at high relativistic energies, they begin to gain mass instead of 'laboratory-speed' as they accelerate through the fields, thus the drift tubes of the final stages of an accelerator can be of similar length.

This is as far as I understand it, and that I presume this is on the point you are raising.

If we assume non-relativistic speeds are my points above correct?

Like grz said, there is no e-field in the tubes. At the fringes of the tube, then you get a field. By adjusting the geometry, you can also achieve axial focussing. (This is independent of whether the accelerated particles are relativistic.)

just to check why do you get a field at the fringes?

The ends of the tubes are a discontinuity. So the e-fields between the tubes will take on convex forms. They can be further shaped so that any particle riding through will (integration wise) have more work done on it by e-fields inwards than outwards, thus focussing it.

1. What is a linear accelerator and how does it work?

A linear accelerator, also known as a linac, is a type of particle accelerator used to accelerate charged particles in a straight line. It works by using a series of electromagnetic fields to increase the speed of the particles, creating a beam of high-energy particles that can be used for various scientific and medical applications.

2. What are drift tubes and how do they contribute to the functioning of a linear accelerator?

Drift tubes are hollow, cylindrical structures that are used to guide and focus the particle beam in a linear accelerator. They are typically made of metal, such as copper, and are arranged in a series along the length of the accelerator. As the particles travel through the drift tubes, they are accelerated by the electric fields within the tubes.

3. What forces are involved in the operation of a linear accelerator?

The main forces involved in a linear accelerator are the electric and magnetic fields. The electric fields are used to accelerate the particles, while the magnetic fields are used to focus the beam and keep it on its intended path. In addition, there may also be mechanical forces involved in moving and maintaining the structure of the accelerator.

4. What are some common applications of linear accelerators?

Linear accelerators have a wide range of applications in science and medicine. Some common uses include producing high-energy beams for particle physics research, generating X-rays for medical imaging and radiation therapy, and sterilizing food and medical equipment. They are also used in industrial settings for materials testing and modification.

5. What are some challenges in designing and operating a linear accelerator?

Designing and operating a linear accelerator can be a complex and challenging process. Some of the main challenges include managing and maintaining the high-energy particle beam, ensuring the stability and precision of the accelerator's components, and minimizing potential radiation hazards for operators and surrounding areas. Additionally, cost and technical limitations may also present challenges in building and operating a linear accelerator.