Solving Linear Equations (fractions)

In summary, multiplying fractions involves finding the lowest common denominator and then simplifying by canceling out the denominators. To cancel out the denominators, you can multiply both sides of the equation by the LCD. The rule for canceling out denominators is a\cdot\frac{b}{c}=\frac{ab}{c}=\frac{a}{c}\cdot b=a\cdot b\cdot\frac{1}{c}. This can also be understood logically by considering that for two fractions to be equal, their numerators must be equal and their denominators must be equal.
annalise17
I'm taking a step back as I've found a concept I'm struggling with. If I have an equation:

2(x-1)/3 = (x/4)+1

I've been told I need to multiply by 12 to give me:

8(x-1) = 3x+12

However I'm struggling with the multiplication of fractions in his instance. Can anyone advise me how that calculation works? I understand the remainder of the working. Thanks :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you remember the rules of fractions?

If you have some fraction, say, [itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex] and you multiply it by 9, there are various ways to represent the same number. You could have:

[tex]=9\cdot \frac{2}{3}[/tex] (note, the dot just means multiply, as x could be confused with a variable)

[tex]=\frac{9\cdot 2}{3}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{18}{3}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{9}{3}\cdot 2[/tex]

[tex]=3\cdot 2[/tex]

[tex]=6[/tex]

Now notice the expression [itex]\frac{9}{3}\cdot 2=3\cdot 2[/itex]. We essentially cancel out the denominator this way, which is what you're trying to do in your problem.

So why do we multiply your question by 12 and not just any other number? Well, what we're looking for is something called the Lowest Common Denominator (LCD) of 3 and 4. What this means is that we want the first number that both 3 and 4 multiply into.

Multiples of 3:
3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, ...

Multiples of 4:
4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, ...

Notice the common multiples are 12 and 24. But we want the LCD which would be 12.

So now when you multiply [itex]\frac{2(x-1)}{3}[/itex] by 12, you get [tex]12\cdot \frac{2(x-1)}{3}=\frac{12}{3}\cdot 2(x-1)=4\cdot 2(x-1)=8(x-1)[/tex]

and if you multiply the other side by 12, you get [tex]12\left(\frac{x}{4}+1\right)=\frac{12x}{4}+12=3x+12[/tex]

Just remember the common rules of fractions:

[tex]a\cdot\frac{b}{c}=\frac{ab}{c}=\frac{a}{c}\cdot b=a\cdot b\cdot\frac{1}{c}[/tex]

etc.

That's great thank you :) Following on from that I know that Y/x1 = y/x2 cancels down to give x1 = x2 but can you explain why?

annalise17 said:
That's great thank you :) Following on from that I know that Y/x1 = y/x2 cancels down to give x1 = x2 but can you explain why?

Can you multiply the left side of the equation with x1 and simultaneously also multiply the right side with x1?

After that multiply left and right with x2.

And finally divide left and right by y.

annalise17 said:

What I like Serena said.

Also, you can think of it logically. If [tex]\frac{2}{x}=\frac{2}{y}[/tex] then for these to be equal, don't x and y need to be the same?

1. How do I solve linear equations with fractions?

To solve linear equations with fractions, you need to first get rid of the fractions by multiplying both sides of the equation by the denominator of the fractions. This will result in an equation with whole numbers. Then, you can solve the equation using the same steps as you would for a regular linear equation.

2. Can I cancel out fractions when solving a linear equation?

Yes, you can cancel out fractions when solving a linear equation, but make sure to do it correctly. To cancel out a fraction, you need to multiply both sides of the equation by the reciprocal of the fraction. This will result in an equation with whole numbers.

3. How do I handle negative fractions when solving a linear equation?

To handle negative fractions when solving a linear equation, you can either multiply both sides of the equation by -1 to make the fractions positive, or you can keep the fractions negative and solve the equation as usual. Just make sure to be consistent with your approach throughout the equation.

4. Can I use the distributive property when solving equations with fractions?

Yes, you can use the distributive property when solving equations with fractions. Just make sure to distribute the number to both the numerator and denominator of the fraction. This will result in an equation with whole numbers that can be solved using the same steps as a regular linear equation.

5. How can I check my answer when solving a linear equation with fractions?

You can check your answer when solving a linear equation with fractions by plugging the value you found for the variable back into the original equation. This should result in both sides of the equation being equal. If they are not equal, then there may have been a mistake made during the solving process.