Archimedes Paradox: Exploring an Alternative Explanation

In summary, the block is balanced because the net upward force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced.
aim1732
We are preparing a physcs quiz and are planning to use the following problem

If we have a wooden block balanced at the junction of two immiscible liquids then we have the buoyancy of the two liquids balance the weight of the block.The lower liquid will exert your normal upthrust but the upper liquid also exerts an upthrust even though it is above the block.How does it happen?

We are thinking of a hypothetical situation in which we remove the upper liquid.If we now pour the other liquid then it tends to increase the hitting of the molecules of the lower liquid hence increasing the pressure.That is to say the upper liquid indirectly exerts that pressure using the lower liquid.

I am looking for an alternative approach or verification of the above explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am looking for an alternative approach or verification of the above explanation.

If I've got the question right,
make your block have vertical sides so the geometry is simple, i.e. there's vertical force applied only to the bottom and top surfaces.

What's force up on bottom?
What's force down on top?

P X A both places , of course.
Pbottom = ρ1gh12gh2

Dont forget that the liquid above the block also exerts force down on the top of block, so raising level above block does not increase bouyant force. It remains equal to weight of fluid displaced.

Last edited:
first thing this is not a paradox at all... u shud go thru d basics of fluid mechanics,,,, Archimedes principle is nothing but net upward force due to pressure difference.,,,
in ur problem the net force on the curved surface is zero (balanced),,, net force on the upper part is downward which is equal to p1xarea; where p1 is the pressure at upper surface,,,,
while net force on the lower surface is upward which is equal to p2xarea ; where p2 is the pressure at the lower surface,,,

the relation between p1 and p2 is :
p2 = p11gh12gh2

so eventually net upward force(thrust force) comes out is
Fthrust = Fupward - Fdownward
Fthrust = (ρ1gh12gh2) x area
where
h1 = height of cylinder in liquid A (upper liquid)
h2 = height of cylinder in liquid B
take obvious meaning of other symbols

vikrambij said:
f... u shud go thru d basics ...

[rant]
Sorry, Vik, I didn't read past that. I find the real newspeak to be double-plus ungood...
[/rant]

gmax137 said:
[rant]
Sorry, Vik, I didn't read past that. I find the real newspeak to be double-plus ungood...
[/rant]

didn't mean dat,,only if u catch that thing,,,,

1. What is the Archimedes Paradox?

The Archimedes Paradox is a thought experiment that questions the concept of infinity and the nature of space and time. It suggests that if the universe is infinite, then there must be an infinite number of copies of ourselves and everything else in existence.

2. Who came up with the Archimedes Paradox?

The Archimedes Paradox is named after the ancient Greek mathematician and scientist, Archimedes. However, the concept itself was first introduced by philosopher and mathematician Zeno of Elea.

3. What is the alternative explanation proposed by the Archimedes Paradox?

The alternative explanation posed by the Archimedes Paradox is that the universe is not infinite, but rather it is finite and boundless. This means that it has a limited size but has no boundaries or edges.

4. How does the Archimedes Paradox challenge our understanding of the universe?

The Archimedes Paradox challenges our understanding of the universe by questioning the idea of infinity and the concept of space and time as we know it. It also challenges the traditional belief that the universe has a beginning and an end.

5. What are the implications of the Archimedes Paradox for scientific research and exploration?

The Archimedes Paradox has implications for scientific research and exploration as it challenges our current understanding of the universe. It may lead to new theories and hypotheses about the nature of space and time, and potentially impact how we approach and conduct scientific research in the future.