What are some top universities for nuclear engineering programs?

In summary, the conversation was about a member looking for universities to apply to for a nuclear engineering graduate program with a lower academic background. They discussed the top universities for nuclear engineering and the number of students applying for the program. They also mentioned the "shotgun effect" of applying to multiple schools to increase chances of acceptance and the weight of rankings in the admission process.
vish22
Hey members,
I've taken the GRE lately and scored 311 (Q-161).
Well,I'm in my final year,doing Civil Engg. from Mumbai University and my acads are pretty much on the lower side(actually its pretty crap).And I wish to get into a nuclear engg. grad program.The thing is,I'm not sure what kind of universities I should be looking at.I mean,I know the top 5-10 for nuclear engg. programs and all,but I'm really unsure about the student enrollment in these universities for the NE program -the number of students applying and their relative scores with respect to other students applying in other branches.If the no. of students applying for NE say for top 10 univs. is pretty low then I know I got a good shot at getting in,but if they are high,and plenty in number,then its pretty much hopeless for me.
Anyways,could you guys give some cool universities for the NE program?

I went through the previous theads and got a good idea.But with my acads,I'm pretty much a hopeless case I think :frown:.I do loads of math(undergrad-grad) and physics though(undergrad-grad level) and I just know I can excel when it comes to topic likes thermal hydraulics,reactor physics,etc.I've even read much about them!I can never really get my head around structural engg. and all that in Civil and I wish to include this in my SOP.But is it worth a shot?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, a few I am applying to for nuclear are the following:

MIT, Texas A & M, Penn st., Florida, Illinois-Urbana, Missouri S & T, Ohio and Michigan. Those are all good programs and with only 3 (Missouri, Florida and Ohio) being below the top 10. Don't worry, you did better on the quant than I did and I am applying. Just keep your head up and use the shotgun effect when applying.

Last edited:
nukapprentice said:
Well, a few I am applying to for nuclear are the following:

MIT, Texas A & M, Penn st., Florida, Illinois-Urbana, Missouri S & T, Ohio and Michigan. Those are all good programs and with only 2 (Missouri and Ohio) being below the top 10. Don't worry, you did better on the quant than I did and I am applying. Just keep your head up and use the shotgun effect when applying.

Florida isn't on the top 10 anymore.

Thanks and changed my original response.

nukapprentice said:
.. and use the shotgun effect when applying.

shotgun effect??Please explain?:confused:

And damn,you must have really good acads and other stuffs if you're applying to those sort of universities.
Also,any idea as to how many students apply in NE masters programs across USA?(In terms of percentage of students applying for a more famous-lets say mechanical or comp. sci.-branch?)

Sure,

The shotgun effect just means that you apply to a bunch of schools in order to increase your chances to get into a program. As for myself, I went to a highly ranked school for my master's so I think that when I apply for a PhD program, that fact will outweigh my mediocre GPA and sub par GRE. Unfortunately, I cannot help you with regards to how many students apply to NE masters programs across USA.

vish22 said:
shotgun effect??Please explain?:confused:

And damn,you must have really good acads and other stuffs if you're applying to those sort of universities.
Also,any idea as to how many students apply in NE masters programs across USA?(In terms of percentage of students applying for a more famous-lets say mechanical or comp. sci.-branch?)

I've talked to my professors in my NE department about how many applications and it's usually around 50-70 students apply every year. Don't let this hold you back from applying.

nukapprentice said:
Thanks and changed my original response.

Sorry didn't mean to sound rude. They are rebuilding their program quite nicely and I would expect to see them in the top 10 again in the next few years.

nukapprentice said:
Sure,

The shotgun effect just means that you apply to a bunch of schools in order to increase your chances to get into a program. As for myself, I went to a highly ranked school for my master's so I think that when I apply for a PhD program, that fact will outweigh my mediocre GPA and sub par GRE. Unfortunately, I cannot help you with regards to how many students apply to NE masters programs across USA.

Honestly, I doubt your school's rank will be weighed that much. I feel your masters thesis/projects/coursework will outweigh your GRE scores.

Thermalne,

Oh, don't worry, I didn't think it sounded rude. About the ranking, I've been told by a few people that ranking does help somewhat in the admission process, but who knows. I do agree with you however about the weight of thesis/projects/coursework and hope that will be the deciding factor for me getting in.

1. What is nuclear engineering and what are its goals?

Nuclear engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the application of nuclear energy, processes, and systems. Its main goal is to harness the power of nuclear reactions for various purposes, such as electricity generation, medical treatments, and space exploration.

2. What advancements do nuclear engineers hope to achieve?

Nuclear engineers hope to continue advancing the technology and processes used in nuclear energy production, making it safer, more efficient, and more sustainable. They also hope to find new applications for nuclear energy, such as in medicine and space exploration.

3. How does nuclear engineering contribute to society?

Nuclear engineering plays a crucial role in society by providing a significant portion of the world's electricity and powering medical treatments, such as cancer therapy. It also helps in the development of new technologies, such as nuclear-powered spacecraft, and contributes to research in various fields, including materials science and environmental protection.

4. What are the safety concerns surrounding nuclear engineering?

Safety is a top priority in nuclear engineering, and extensive measures are taken to ensure the safe operation of nuclear power plants and other facilities. However, there are concerns about accidents and the proper disposal of nuclear waste. Nuclear engineers are continuously working to improve safety protocols and find solutions for the safe disposal of nuclear waste.

5. What are the future prospects for nuclear engineering?

The future of nuclear engineering looks promising, with ongoing research and development in advanced reactor designs, fuel cycles, and waste management. Nuclear energy is also seen as a potential solution for reducing greenhouse gas emissions and combating climate change. However, there are also challenges to overcome, such as public perception and cost-effectiveness, which nuclear engineers are actively addressing.