Integrating out of the real domain of a function

In summary: A path is a sequence of points in space.For the ln() function, the path is along the negative real axis, and the limits of integration change because the path crosses the x-axis (and therefore the domain of the function changes). Alright. What exactly do you mean by a "path"? And why did the limits of integration change?A path is a sequence of points in space.For the ln() function, the path is along the negative real axis, and the limits of integration change because the path crosses the x-axis (and therefore the domain of the function changes).
pierce15
Check this out:

[tex]\int_{-1}^{0} ln(x) dx[/tex]

[tex]u=ln(x), dv=dx[/tex]
[tex]du=\frac{1}{x},v=x[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-1}^{0} ln(x) dx= x\space ln(x) \|_{-1}^{0} -\int_{-1}^{0} \frac{x}{x} dx[/tex]
[tex]=x\space ln(x) \|_{-1}^{0}-x \|_{-1}^{0}[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{x\to0} x\space ln(x)-(-ln(-1))-(0-(-1))[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{x\to0} x\space ln(x)=lim_{x\to0} \frac{ln(x)}{1/x}[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{x\to0} \frac{1/x}{-1/x^2}[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{x\to0} -x=0[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-1}^{0} ln(x)dx=ln(-1)-1[/tex]
[tex]e^{i\pi}=-1\to ln(-1)=i\pi[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-1}^{0}ln(x)\space dx=i\pi-1[/tex]

Is this legitimate?

P.S. Why don't my limits look right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By the way, this is not a textbook style question, I'm wondering whether or not it makes sense to integrate out of a function's domain.

piercebeatz said:
Check this out:

[tex]\int_{-1}^{0} ln(x) dx[/tex]
Nothing below is legitimate. For the Fundamental Theorem of calculus to apply, the function (ln(x) here) has to be defined on the interval [-1, 0], and continuous on the interior of this interval. ln(x) is defined only for x > 0.
piercebeatz said:
[tex]u=ln(x), dv=dx[/tex]
[tex]du=\frac{1}{x},v=x[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-1}^{0} ln(x) dx= x\space ln(x) \|_{-1}^{0} -\int_{-1}^{0} \frac{x}{x} dx[/tex]
[tex]=x\space ln(x) \|_{-1}^{0}-x \|_{-1}^{0}[/tex]
[tex]=lim_{x\to0} x\space ln(x)-(-ln(-1))-(0-(-1))[/tex]

[tex]lim_{x\to0} x\space ln(x)=lim_{x\to0} \frac{ln(x)}{1/x}[/tex]
[tex]=lim_{x\to0} \frac{1/x}{-1/x^2}[/tex]
[tex]=lim_{x\to0} -x=0[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-1}^{0} ln(x)dx=ln(-1)-1[/tex]
[tex]e^{i\pi}=-1\to ln(-1)=i\pi[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-1}^{0}ln(x)\space dx=i\pi-1[/tex]

Is this legitimate?

P.S. Why don't my limits look right?

Use \lim, not lim.

Mark44 said:
Nothing below is legitimate. For the Fundamental Theorem of calculus to apply, the function (ln(x) here) has to be defined on the interval [-1, 0], and continuous on the interior of this interval. ln(x) is defined only for x > 0.

So one can never integrate out of a function's domain? What about in complex analysis?

Last edited:
piercebeatz said:
So one can never integrate out of a function's domain? What about in complex analysis?
Reinterpreting your integral in the complex plane, we need r >= 0, so over the x interval (-1,0) we will have θ=π:
[itex]\int_{-1}^0ln(z)dz = \int_{1}^0(ln(r)+i\pi) d(-r) = \left[r ln(r) - r + i\pi r \right]_0^1 = i\pi - 1[/itex]

haruspex said:
Reinterpreting your integral in the complex plane, we need r >= 0, so over the x interval (-1,0) we will have θ=π:
[itex]\int_{-1}^0ln(z)dz = \int_{1}^0(ln(r)+i\pi) d(-r)[/itex]

How did you go to polar coordinates?

Also, is integrating the function without reinterpreting it into the complex plane o.k. (i.e. is my way of arriving at the same answer legitimate)?

Last edited:
piercebeatz said:
How did you go to polar coordinates?
Not polar co-ordinates (which would be (r,θ)) but the polar form of complex variables (z=re). It's better not to confuse the two.
is integrating the function without reinterpreting it into the complex plane o.k.
No, for the reasons given in other posts.

haruspex said:
Not polar co-ordinates (which would be (r,θ)) but the polar form of complex variables (z=re.

OK, but what did you do to transform the integral into that form?

piercebeatz said:
OK, but what did you do to transform the integral into that form?
First, you need to assume a specific path, P (though for the ln() function it won't matter as long as we don't go around the origin to get there). Assume it's along the negative real axis. So at all points in the path, z is of the form re.
[itex]\int_Pln(z)dz = \int_P(ln(re^{iπ}) dre^{iπ}= e^{iπ}\int_{r=1}^0(ln(r)+iπ) dr = -\int_{r=1}^0(ln(r)+iπ) dr[/itex]
[itex] = \int_{r=0}^1(ln(r)+iπ) = \left[(r ln(r)-r+iπr)\right]_0^1 = -1+iπ [/itex]

haruspex said:
First, you need to assume a specific path, P (though for the ln() function it won't matter as long as we don't go around the origin to get there). Assume it's along the negative real axis. So at all points in the path, z is of the form re.
[itex]\int_Pln(z)dz = \int_P(ln(re^{iπ}) dre^{iπ}= e^{iπ}\int_{r=1}^0(ln(r)+iπ) dr = -\int_{r=1}^0(ln(r)+iπ) dr[/itex]
[itex] = \int_{r=0}^1(ln(r)+iπ) = \left[(r ln(r)-r+iπr)\right]_0^1 = -1+iπ [/itex]

Alright. What exactly do you mean by a "path"? And why did the limits of integration change?

1. What is "integrating out of the real domain"?

"Integrating out of the real domain" refers to the process of finding the definite integral of a function over a specified range of values, where the function may have complex or imaginary values outside of this range.

2. Why is it important to integrate out of the real domain?

Integrating out of the real domain allows us to accurately calculate the total area under a function's curve, even when the function has complex or imaginary values. This is important in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, where complex-valued functions are often encountered.

3. How do I integrate out of the real domain?

The process of integrating out of the real domain is similar to regular integration, but with the addition of complex or imaginary values. It involves breaking down the function into real and imaginary components, integrating each separately, and then combining the results using the rules of complex numbers.

4. Can I use the same methods for integrating out of the real domain as I do for regular integration?

Yes, the same methods and techniques used for regular integration, such as substitution and integration by parts, can be applied to integrating out of the real domain. However, the presence of complex or imaginary values may require additional steps and calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to integrating out of the real domain?

The main limitation to integrating out of the real domain is that it can be more complex and time-consuming compared to regular integration. It also requires a good understanding of complex numbers and their properties. Additionally, some functions may not have closed-form solutions for integrating out of the real domain and may require numerical methods.