Angular Momentum & Precession: Harnessing Torque?

In summary, it seems that if you have a frictionless gyroscope with the flywheel spinning, it is possible to harness the torque (converted to kinetic energy) generated about the axis of precession. This would allow you to create a source of energy that is finite, as the reaction torque would oppose the change in angular momentum.
sinr0202
I am currently studying angular momentum and precession. If you suppose that you had a frictionless gyroscope with the flywheel spinning, thus precessing, could you harness the torque (converted to kinetic energy) generated about the axis of precession? since the force is generated by gravity it seems possible to me.. but then again that fails logic -____-; can someone explain to me why i am wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
If gyro applies torque to generator, generator applies opposite torque on gyro. What is the direction of this torque vector? How will the gyro respond to torque in that direction? If you answer these questions correctly, it will become clear why this resource of energy is finite.

K^2 said:
If gyro applies torque to generator, generator applies opposite torque on gyro. What is the direction of this torque vector? How will the gyro respond to torque in that direction? If you answer these questions correctly, it will become clear why this resource of energy is finite.

If the torque is in the opposite direction, the precession does not continue, thus it will not be able to change the direction of the angular momentum, and nutation follows. does it just fall then?

Precession does continue, actually. Keep in mind that gyro does not rotate in direction of torque. That's kind of the whole reason there is precession. So figure out where the net torque points and new direction of precession.

K^2 said:
Precession does continue, actually. Keep in mind that gyro does not rotate in direction of torque. That's kind of the whole reason there is precession. So figure out where the net torque points and new direction of precession.

I have a feeling that the reaction torque will not allow the change in angular momentum to be as much as it would without that reaction torque. But precession must continue.. hmm I'm quite clueless to what happens

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion an object possesses. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to torque?

Angular momentum is directly proportional to torque, which is the force applied to an object to cause it to rotate. The greater the torque applied, the greater the change in angular momentum.

3. What is precession?

Precession is the phenomenon in which the axis of rotation of a spinning object changes direction in response to an external torque. It is often observed in spinning objects such as tops and gyroscopes.

4. How can we harness torque for practical applications?

Torque can be harnessed to perform useful work, such as in engines and motors. It can also be used to stabilize the motion of spinning objects, as seen in the case of gyroscopes used in navigation and stabilization systems.

5. What is the importance of understanding angular momentum and precession in physics?

Angular momentum and precession are fundamental concepts in physics that help us understand the behavior of rotating objects and systems. They have practical applications in various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and even sports. Understanding these concepts can also lead to advancements in technology and innovations.