Why is rate of change related to the area under a function

In summary: A=\sum_{i=0}^{N}t\cdot\lim_{t\rightarrow0}(y(it+t)-y(it))/t=\lim_{t\rightarrow0}\sum_{i=0}^{N}y(it+t)+y(it)
mpatryluk
I don't understand why integrals and derivatives work, and i don't understand why theyre so closely related.

Let's take a function y= x^2 + 2x + 9

y' = 2x + 2

Why do the rules for taking derivatives work? Why does reducing the power of a term by 1 and adding that as a coefficient work to find the rate of change? This might be like asking why gravity exists, but I'm curious.

Now in regards to my main question, take that derivative, y' = 2x + 2 and graph it.

If you want to calculate the area of the curve under the derivative, you can just do so using the original term it's derived from (by dropping any constants that would get lost in the derivation).

So i don't understand why a function can also serve to express the area under the function of it's derivative (when you drop constant terms.

I know mathematically it makes sense because the process of derivation and antiderivation are opposites, so i mathematically understand the connection, but i don't get the relationship between RoC and area.

Physics news on Phys.org
mpatryluk said:
I don't understand why integrals and derivatives work, and i don't understand why theyre so closely related.

y' = 2x + 2

Why do the rules for taking derivatives work? Why does reducing the power of a term by 1 and adding that as a coefficient work to find the rate of change?

It works because we can prove that it works. Have you ever proven the derivative laws? Or were you just required to memorize them?

If you want to calculate the area of the curve under the derivative, you can just do so using the original term it's derived from (by dropping any constants that would get lost in the derivation).

So i don't understand why a function can also serve to express the area under the function of it's derivative (when you drop constant terms.

I know mathematically it makes sense because the process of derivation and antiderivation are opposites, so i mathematically understand the connection, but i don't get the relationship between RoC and area.

Consider the following graph:

500px-FTC_geometric.svg.png

Let [itex]A(x)[/itex] be the area from 0 to x under the graph. The value [itex]A(x+h)-A(x)[/itex] is given by the red piece in the graph. If h is small, then we can approximate it by a small rectangle. The rectangle has sides h and f(x). So A(x+h) is the area up to x+h is given by the area up to x plus the rectangle. So [itex]A(x+h)\sim A(x) + f(x)h[/itex]. This gives us that the rate of change of A is given by [itex]\frac{A(x+h)-A(x)}{h}\sim f(x)[/itex]. So if h is small, then the rate of change of A is f(x). This is an (informal) explanation of why the connection works.

mpatryluk said:

y' = 2x + 2

Why do the rules for taking derivatives work? Why does reducing the power of a term by 1 and adding that as a coefficient work to find the rate of change? This might be like asking why gravity exists, but I'm curious.

Now in regards to my main question, take that derivative, y' = 2x + 2 and graph it.

First question: it is just a trick which prevents you from doing the whole boring computation. Formally you would write:
[tex]
y'(x) = \lim_{t\rightarrow0}\frac{y(x+t)-y(x)}{t}
[/tex]
Apllying this to whatever polynomial you'll find the trick you're used to.

Second question: how would one compute the area under y'(x)? Well, one way is to divide the x-axis is small intervals of measure t, ([itex]\left[0,t\right] [/itex] etc. ) and compute the area of the little rectangle made by each interval and sum all rectangles: (for simplicity consider an interval (0,a) )

[tex]
A=\sum_{i=0}^{N}t\cdot y'(it)
[/tex]
With a=tN.
This is just
[tex]
\sum_{i=0}^{N}t\cdot\lim_{t\rightarrow0}(y(it+t)-y(it))/t =\lim_{t\rightarrow0}\sum_{i=0}^{N}y(it+t)-y(it)
[/tex]
The only terms that do not vanish (they are not summed and subtracted in consequent terms) are the first and the last one, so that:

[tex]
A=\lim_{t\rightarrow0}y(a)-y(0)=y(a)-y(0)
[/tex]

1. Why is the rate of change important?

The rate of change is important because it measures how quickly a quantity is changing over time. It allows us to understand the behavior and trends of a function, and helps us make predictions and analyze data in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

2. How is the rate of change related to the area under a function?

The rate of change is related to the area under a function through the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. This theorem states that the rate of change of a function at a specific point is equal to the value of the function's derivative at that point, which is also the slope of the tangent line. The area under a function, on the other hand, is the accumulation of all the small changes in the function over a given interval. Therefore, the rate of change and the area under a function are two different interpretations of the same concept.

3. How can I visualize the relationship between rate of change and area under a function?

A good way to visualize the relationship is by looking at a graph of a function and its derivative. The derivative is represented as the slope of the tangent line at each point on the graph, while the area under the function is represented as the shaded area between the function and the x-axis. As the derivative changes, the slope of the tangent line changes, and the area under the function also changes accordingly.

4. Can the rate of change and area under a function be negative?

Yes, both the rate of change and area under a function can be negative. A negative rate of change indicates that the function is decreasing, while a negative area under a function indicates that the function is below the x-axis. This can happen when the function has negative values or when it crosses the x-axis.

5. How is the concept of rate of change and area under a function used in real life?

The concept of rate of change and area under a function is used in various real-life applications such as calculating speed and acceleration in physics, predicting stock market trends in economics, and analyzing population growth in biology. It also helps in making informed decisions and understanding patterns and trends in data analysis.