Masses in contact with each other

• Thread starter e-zero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contact
In summary, if 3 masses are in contact with each other and a force is applied to the first mass, the acceleration will be the same for all. However, the net force on each object will not be the same as the mass of each object is not equal. This is assuming there is no friction.
e-zero
If 3 masses are in contact with each other I understand that the acceleration is the same for all if a force is applied to the first mass. Is the net force on each object also the same? Assume no friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
e-zero said:
If 3 masses are in contact with each other I understand that the acceleration is the same for all if a force is applied to the first mass.
OK. I imagine you're thinking of something like 3 blocks in a row being pushed along a frictionless surface.

Is the net force on each object also the same?
Is the mass of each object the same?

No, and hence net force cannot be the same. I see! :)

1. What is the definition of "masses in contact with each other"?

Masses in contact with each other refer to two or more objects that are physically touching each other.

2. How does the mass of an object affect its contact with another object?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its contact with another object. However, the weight of an object, which is determined by its mass and the force of gravity, can impact the strength of the contact between objects.

3. What factors can influence the friction between two masses in contact?

The friction between two masses in contact can be influenced by factors such as the surface texture of the objects, the force pressing the objects together, and any lubricants or substances between the objects.

4. How do we measure the contact force between two masses?

The contact force between two masses can be measured using a force sensor or scale. The amount of force required to separate the masses is equal to the contact force between them.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying masses in contact with each other?

Studying masses in contact with each other is important in many fields, including engineering, physics, and materials science. It can help us understand how objects interact and how to improve designs for structures, machines, and other products. It also plays a role in everyday activities such as walking, driving, and sports.