Is it possible to change the chirality of an atom like this?

In summary, the person is trying to find a way to change the chirality of the amino group on a carbon atom.
mycotheology
Heres the chiral center:
eeee18ca8467ac59bfcf4241cc4f1bcd.png

I want to change the chirality of the amino group. I was wondering if I can do it through some kind of nucleuphilic addition to the carbonyl group, while adding something to adding a metal that will coordinate the amino group and drag it back or force it to change chirality or something like that.

Another idea I had was to use some kind of SN2 to invert the stereochemistry, but I have no idea how to do that. Is there any way I can remove a hydrogen from that chiral center in order to temporarily turn it trigonal planar, then when I re-hydrogenate it, at least I'd have a racemate.

Or would it be possible to tenporarily make the amino group achiral by converting it to a double bond or something? Then when its trigonal planar, I suppose I could figure out how to get the right stereochemistry.

Or here's another idea, maybe I could deprotect the carboxyl group, then run a kolbe electrolysis on it, but I will put an excess of mono esterified oxalic acid so that the majority of the my product will dimerise with the oxalic acid, rather than itself. Only problem there, is the oxalic acid will dimerise with itself, but I suppose I could add tiny amounts of the oxalic acid in at a time. This seems like it just might work.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
mycotheology said:
Heres the chiral center:
eeee18ca8467ac59bfcf4241cc4f1bcd.png

I want to change the chirality of the amino group.

You mean chirality of the carbon to which the amino group is attached?

If it is for an amino acid there are probably hundreds of papers out there that describe chiral synthesis.

Yeah I meant chirality of the carbon. No, its not for an amino acid and synthesising it isn't an option in this case, I need to find a way to modify it.

There may be ways but it is hard to give advice without seeing the whole molecule and knowing what you are really trying to do.

1. What is chirality?

Chirality is a property of molecules or atoms that have a non-superimposable mirror image. This means that the molecule or atom cannot be rotated or flipped to match its mirror image.

2. Why would someone want to change the chirality of an atom?

Changing the chirality of an atom can have various uses in chemistry and pharmaceuticals. For example, it can help create new drugs with specific properties, or improve the efficiency of certain chemical reactions.

3. Is it possible to change the chirality of any atom?

No, not all atoms can be changed to have a different chirality. This is because chirality is determined by the arrangement of the atoms and bonds around a central atom, and some arrangements cannot be changed without breaking chemical bonds.

4. How can the chirality of an atom be changed?

There are a few ways to change the chirality of an atom, including using specific enzymes, chemical reactions, or physical processes such as heating or cooling. However, the success and efficiency of these methods can vary depending on the specific molecule and desired outcome.

5. What are the potential consequences of changing the chirality of an atom?

Changing the chirality of an atom can have significant consequences on the properties and behavior of a molecule. It can affect the molecule's interactions with other molecules, its biological activity, and its stability. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully consider the potential consequences before attempting to change the chirality of an atom.