Calculating what latitude aurora is visible using KP Index

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the latitude at which the aurora can be seen using a formula based on the K-index. The NOAA website provides global maps showing the most likely areas to see the aurora, extrapolated from data collected by the POES satellite. The conversation also mentions the use of an interactive map and the need to determine the details of how the data is extrapolated.
erotavlas
Is there a formula to calculate at what latitude you are able to see the aurora, given some value like K-index?

From the NOAA website on space weather, they have some global maps with lines showing where on Earth its most likely to see the aurora, what I'm wondering is how they calculated this.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
We know that during a geomagnetic storm, the auroral zone expands to lower latitudes.

Auroral Activity Extrapolated from NOAA POES:
"The plots on this page show the current extent and position of the auroral oval at each pole, extrapolated from measurements taken during the most recent polar pass of the NOAA POES satellite."
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/

So we would have to know the details of how they "extrapolate from measurements". It appears that there is at least four satellites contributing to this data:

The Polar Operational Environmental Satellite (POES) project operates a constellation of weather satellites in polar orbits around the Earth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_Operational_Environmental_Satellites

Likes 1 person
thanks for that, I also managed to find this site
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/Aurora/index.html

with an interactive map you can use to determine your magnetic latitude. I just have to figure out now, how to calculate it myself or find a service I can query online that can do it for me

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the KP Index and how is it used to calculate the latitude of visible auroras?

The KP Index is a measurement of the global geomagnetic activity level, ranging from 0 to 9, with 9 being the most active. It is used to predict the likelihood of auroras being visible at different latitudes. Higher KP values indicate a stronger geomagnetic storm, which means auroras are more likely to be visible at lower latitudes.

2. How is the KP Index calculated?

The KP Index is calculated from data collected by ground-based magnetometers and satellite observations of the Earth's magnetic field. This data is then used to determine the disturbance level of the geomagnetic field, which is then translated into a number on the KP Index scale.

3. Is the KP Index the only factor to consider when calculating the latitude of visible auroras?

No, the KP Index is not the only factor to consider. Other factors such as solar wind speed, solar wind density, and the orientation of the interplanetary magnetic field also play a role in determining the visibility of auroras at different latitudes.

4. Can the KP Index be used to predict the exact location of visible auroras?

No, the KP Index can only provide a general indication of the potential visibility of auroras at different latitudes. The exact location of visible auroras is dependent on many variables and can be difficult to predict accurately.

5. How can I use the KP Index to determine when and where I can see auroras?

You can use the KP Index in combination with other resources, such as real-time aurora maps and forecasts, to determine the best time and location to view auroras. It is also important to consider other factors such as weather conditions, light pollution, and local topography when planning an aurora viewing trip.