Here is a fun math statistic/probability question

• Thread starter firstwave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary, if you have 12 identical keys and 11 of them have the same mass, with only one key having a different mass, you can determine which key is different by using a scale and only 3 weighings. The key is to divide the keys into groups of 4 and compare the weight of two groups. If they balance, the odd key is in the remaining group of 4. If they don't balance, eliminate the lighter group and compare two of the remaining keys. If they balance, the odd key is the third key, if they don't balance, the heavier key is the odd key. This method can also be applied to other similar problems with a different number of coins/keys.
firstwave
My grade 12 math teacher gave us a question that I found to be very interesting.

You have 12 identical keys. 11 of the 12 keys have the same mass. Only one of them has a different mass. You have a scale, but it is not digital and it does not tell you the actual weight. It only shows you which one of the two sides is heavier. You are allowed 3 uses of the scale. How do you determine which key has a different mass?

I found this question to be very interesting, but unfortunately, I can't solve it. How about you guys?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
HINT: Start by comparing the weight of two groups of 4 keys.

Hmm, I don't think that works. If I compare two groups of 4 keys, there are 2 possible outcomes.

Either one side is different or both groups weigh the same. If the outcome is the former, I still need to use the scale once more to determine which one of the three groups contains the different key. The problem is that knowing which side is heavier or light does not necessarily help because we don't know if the "special" key is ligher or heavier than the other 11 keys.

Maybe I am perceiving this wrong, so please enlighten me :)

Okay,

If the two sets of four do not balance then you eliminate the third (unweighed) set so we'll set them aside.

Label the set of heavier keys as 1, 2, 3 and 4 and the lighter set 5, 6, 7 and 8. Now remove 7 & 8 from (say) the right side (and remember they were part of the lighter set!) and swap 5 and 4 so you are now comparing 1, 2 and 5 with 3, 4 and 6. This is the second weighing.

Now, if 1, 2 and 5 balance with 3, 4 and 6 then one of 7 and 8 is the special key and will be the lighter of the two (recall the note above!) - you find which one it is by a third weighing.

However, if 1, 2 and 5 do not balance then you eliminate 7 and 8.

Recall that 1, 2 and 5 came from the heavier side of the first weighing so that if 1, 2 and 5 are heavier than 3, 4 and 6, then 3 and 4 are ordinary keys so that 1 and 2 are potentially heavier while 6 is potentially lighter (recall it came from the light side of the first weighing). A third weighing comparing 1 and 2 tells you that if 1 and 2 are the same then 6 is the a heavy key and if 1 and 2 are not the same then the heavier of the two is the odd key.

On the other hand, if 1, 2 and 5 are lighter than 3, 4 and 6 then 1, 2 and 6 are ordinary keys while 5 is potentially lighter and 3 and 4 are potentially heavier. Finally, compare 3 and 4 (third weighing!). If they are the same then 5 is the special key and if they are not the same then the heavier of 3 and 4 is a heavy key.

I'll leave it to you to decide the case when 1, 2, 3 and 4 balance with 5, 6, 7 and 8. :)

Ohhhh right. I forgot that if two sets of four do not balance, you can eliminate the third set. Thanks for your insightful solutions :)

This is a different statement of a classic weighing problem (which uses coins, not keys).

There is a beautifully elegant and methodical solution for this problem and the general class of problem.

Read Lars Prins' method (at the bottom) for the 12-coin problem : http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/55618.html

In general, with [itex]n[/itex] weighings, you can find the odd coin out of (at most) [tex]\frac{3^n - 3}{2}[/tex] coins. You can read the general solution from here (the first part) : http://www.cut-the-knot.org/blue/OddCoinProblemsShort.shtml

1. What is the difference between statistics and probability?

Statistics is the study of collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data. It involves using techniques and methods to summarize and make inferences from data. Probability, on the other hand, is the study of the likelihood of events occurring. It involves using mathematical principles to predict the chances of different outcomes.

2. What is the purpose of studying statistics and probability?

Studying statistics and probability is important in many fields, including science, business, and social sciences. It allows us to make informed decisions based on data and helps us understand and interpret the world around us. It also helps us identify patterns, trends, and relationships in data, which can lead to new discoveries and advancements.

3. Can you give an example of a real-life application of statistics and probability?

One example is the use of statistics and probability in weather forecasting. Meteorologists use historical data and probability models to predict the chance of rain, snow, or other weather events. This information is essential for planning and preparing for potential weather hazards.

4. What is the difference between discrete and continuous data in statistics?

Discrete data can only take on specific values, such as whole numbers, while continuous data can take on any value within a range. For example, the number of siblings a person has is discrete data, while their height is continuous data.

5. How can I improve my understanding of statistics and probability?

Practice and hands-on experience are key to improving your understanding of statistics and probability. You can also read books, watch online tutorials, and take courses to learn more about these topics. It's also helpful to stay updated on current research and advancements in the field.