How Do You Calculate the Drag Coefficient to Decelerate a Dragster?

In summary: Summary: In summary, the conversation is about designing a drag chute for a 3000-lb dragster to reduce its speed from 220 mph to 50 mph in 4 seconds. The drag force is proportional to the velocity and the value of the drag coefficient k needs to be determined to accomplish this. The dragster will travel a negative distance due to the exponential function of the velocity equation. The correct value for k is 1111.3 and there is no need to convert the velocity from mph to ft/s. It is important to note that the given weight of 3000 pounds is actually the force of gravity on the car.
A_I_
intro to DIFF EQ (help!)

a drag chute must be designed to reduce the speed of a 3000-lb dragster from 220 mph to 50 mph in 4 sec. Assume that the drag force is proportional to the velocity.

a) what value of the drag coefficient k is needed to accomplish this?
b) how far will the dragster travel in the 4-sec interval?

the way i reasonned is the following:

m(dv/dt) = sum of all forces
m(dv/dt) = -mg -kv (F=-kv drag force "opposite direction to the velocity).

mv' +kv = -mg
v' +(k/m)v = -g

integrating factor = e^(k/m)t

multiplying the integrating factor by the diff eq and integrating

we get: v(t) = -(mg/k) +Ce^(-k/m)t

initial conditions t=0 v=v(0)=220

--> C = v(0) +(mg/k)

thus v(t) = -(mg/k)(1 - e^(-k/m)t) +v(0)e^(-k/m)t

now in order to find the value of k
we have v(t)=50 mph
v(0) = 220 mph
g =32
m =3000
t = 4 sec

but we have a k^-1 and a k in the exponential.
how can we get the value of k?

it's a sophomore level course.
I don't need very complicated equations :).

Thanks,
Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Your dragster is moving horizontally, so you won't need an mg term - that acts in the vertical direction anyway, and m(dv/dt) and kv act in the horizontal.

That should simplify it a bit.

Also, remember to keep your units compatible. If you are using imperial measure, then your velocity shoud be in feet/sec, not mph.

i don't know how to transform from mph to feet per sec :)
can you help me? :)

There are 1760 yards in a mile and 3 ft in a yard
Convert miles to feet and divide by 3600 (60*60) to bring it from mph to ft/sec

i got for 50 mph = 73.3 ft/sec
and for 220 mph = 322.6 ft/sec

my solution was v(t) = v(0)e^(-k/m)t

v(t) = 73.3
v(0) = 322.6
t = 4 sec
m = 3000 lb

i got a value of k =1111.1
but in solutionary we have k = 0.2469

i must have done a terrible mistake.
can u tell me what is it?

thanks

I've gone over the problem a few times, and I can't justify the given solution, of k = 0.2964.
I get the same result as yourself, k = 1111.2.
It looks like a wrong answer in the book/solution set.

well I'm sorry to make you work it few times.
And in fact, 1111.3 is the right answer.

I still have some problem in the second part of the problem

mv' = -kv

m (dv/dt) = -kv

m (dv/dx)(dx/dt) = -k(dx/dt)

m(dv/dx) = -k

mdv = -kdx

integating mv = -kx
thus we end up with a negative value for x
or is there another way to solve for x?

thanks again

That's the correct way to solve for x.
x is supposed to be negative so that you have a decreasing exponential function. One that starts at 220 mph and ends up at 50 mph.

Oh, btw, You didn't have to convert the velocity from mph to ft/s. Not in this particular problem, that is. You would have got the same value for k if you had used mph, since it only depended on the ratio of the velocities.

Notice that 3000 pounds is not mass. It is weight which is the gravitational force on the car. Since F= ma so m= F/a= 3000/32.2 slugs (or poundals).

What is differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time, based on the rate at which the quantity changes and its current value. They are commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biology to model and analyze complex systems.

Why is differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of real-world systems. They can be used to solve problems in fields such as heat transfer, population dynamics, and circuit analysis. Additionally, many scientific and technological advancements would not have been possible without the use of differential equations.

What are the different types of differential equations?

There are two main types of differential equations: ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. Within these categories, there are also different types such as linear and nonlinear differential equations.

How do you solve differential equations?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using series solutions. In some cases, differential equations can also be solved numerically using computer software.

What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, biology, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the spread of diseases, analyze the stability of structures, and predict the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also used in fields such as finance to understand market dynamics and make predictions about future trends.