Help needed on photocells please.

• Thread starter einstein2603
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with an assignment on investigating the output of photocells at different distances from a point source of radiation. Various methods and circuits are suggested, with the use of an ammeter and an operational amplifier being the most feasible for a high school student. It is also mentioned that this concept can be applied to automatic doors using photointerruptors. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the appropriate distances to vary and use for the experiment.
could you help me with the apparatud that will be used for this experiment

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok here's my take on things.
I am also doing this experiment and whil it seemed a bit strange at first its not so bad. Really just asking berkemen and hootenanny whether what I've done is the right sort of lines. A few people have mentioned batteries. however having done a bit of reading on photocells i thought they generated current themselves, so I've left out a battery. By the way not sure if anybody has acctually clarified this. We don't acctually do the experiment, just plan it. my plan is to have the photocell connected to a fixed resistor with a large resistance, and to measure the voltage acroos that large resistance. From that i could work out the current using simple maths.
think that's right but just a yes or no would help enormously

welshdragon said:
Will you please help I am confused
Ive been told by my physics tutor to connect the photocell to a battery, and take a reading of the current.
Would this work?

THANX

Yes, this should work but you may only obtain a limited range of data.

~H

rich_b62003 said:
Ok here's my take on things.
I am also doing this experiment and whil it seemed a bit strange at first its not so bad. Really just asking berkemen and hootenanny whether what I've done is the right sort of lines. A few people have mentioned batteries. however having done a bit of reading on photocells i thought they generated current themselves, so I've left out a battery. By the way not sure if anybody has acctually clarified this. We don't acctually do the experiment, just plan it. my plan is to have the photocell connected to a fixed resistor with a large resistance, and to measure the voltage acroos that large resistance. From that i could work out the current using simple maths.
think that's right but just a yes or no would help enormously

This would probably work, but it would depend on how sensitive your voltmeter is and it is likely your obtained curve will not be nice :yuck: . If you want simplicity a better method to use would be to connect your photocell directly to an ammeter and measure the current.

~H

hmmmm i believe I am doing the exact same question! I am just as stuck, i was under the impresion that you simply hook up a curcit with a powersource, the photocell and reviver thing (is that the diode?) and an ammeter, then alter the distances and ,easure the current.
am i any where near right?