Does Shaking a Soda Can Increase Pressure?

• Thread starter f91jsw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary: I've stopped drinking soda, but this does suggest an interesting test. Have someone else shake up a plastic bottle. Without knowing which bottle was shaken, see if one can determine which was disturbed by manually testing the rigidity which one was shaken up. (I suppose a purist would insist on a double-blind experiment, but that level of care would probably only be needed if initial results look promising).In summary, if you shake an (unopened) soda can or bottle, the pressure inside will increase. The mechanism is the release of CO2 gas that was dissolved in the soda.
f91jsw said:
Now, what happens if we shake the system? According to some posters here some of the CO2 will return to gaseous state and the pressure will increase. I.e., the entropy will decrease again. How could it be possible that a random process such as shaking would lower the entropy of the system?

/J
Why would the entropy decrease if the CO2 is going into the gaseous state?

Physics news on Phys.org
dav2008 said:
Why would the entropy decrease if the CO2 is going into the gaseous state?

If you accept that we start in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium the entropy would decrease by definition.

/J

f91jsw said:
If you accept that we start in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium the entropy would decrease by definition.

/J
Not necessarily. It's the free energy that has to be minimized (F=U-TS)--Helmholtz Free Energy. The soda can in question is at constant temp/volume.

While a gas has a higher entropy than a liquid, there is an energy barrier that has to be overcome for the liquid to evaporate into a gas. (Or I guess in this case for a dissolved gas to...evaporate...into a gas. The word for undissolving doesn't come to mind right now).

It's this trade-off between internal energy and entropy that leads to an equilibrium where each is at a level where the free energy is minimized.

Last edited:
f91jsw said:

/J

Container sits in a room for a month, it's pretty close to equilibrium. Pick it up and start shaking, it is not; the action of shaking establishes pressure gradients throughout the container, a non-equilibrium condition. There are zones of pressure greater than the "sitting" equilibrium pressure, and zones of lower pressure; in the lower pressure volumes, the solution will begin to approach an equilibrium with the lower pressure by exsolving gas.

Bystander said:
Container sits in a room for a month, it's pretty close to equilibrium. Pick it up and start shaking, it is not; the action of shaking establishes pressure gradients throughout the container, a non-equilibrium condition. There are zones of pressure greater than the "sitting" equilibrium pressure, and zones of lower pressure; in the lower pressure volumes, the solution will begin to approach an equilibrium with the lower pressure by exsolving gas.

One could also argue the exact opposite: in the zones of greater pressure the gas will dissolve in the liquid. Which effect wins? Will there be a net change?

/J

dav2008 said:
Not necessarily. It's the free energy that has to be minimized (F=U-TS)--Helmholtz Free Energy. The soda can in question is at constant temp/volume.

You are right of course. I think my main argument was trying to bracket the equilibrium state between extremes. The extremes being pure water/pure CO2 on one end, totally dissolved CO2 on the other. Neither of these states are obviously stable. Somewhere between these two states there will be an equilibrium. Will that equilibrium change in either direction by applying a random motion to the system? If yes, why would increased outgassing be the preferred direction of change?

/J

f91jsw said:
One could also argue the exact opposite: in the zones of greater pressure the gas will dissolve in the liquid. Which effect wins? Will there be a net change?

/J

Covered this already --- remember? Rate of dissolution is proportional to interfacial area (nearly constant), and rate of exsolution is proportional to volume that can be underpressured (a function of shake rate, acoustic energy, etc.).