How the heck do I integrate sin(1/x) ?

• Thread starter Matt Jacques
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary: Originally posted by curiousbystander In summary, The function hasn't been defined at 0, that's all. It is true that any assignment of a value at zero will produce a function that is Riemann integrable (you don't need to use the machinery of Lesbegue integration on it). Only the setting the value at 0 to be 0 will provide an odd function. No assignment produces a continuous function.The definite integral of any odd function on the interval [-a,a] is 0.one generally wouldn't integrate over a region where the function is not defined. (no choice at zero can make it continuous, interestingly enough, not that that's either here or there, and
Matt Jacques
I tried parts by integration but I am caught in an endless loop of ever growing in complexity integrals! I must be missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
is that an indefinite or definite integral?

Do you have any reason to believe its anti-derivative is an elementary function?

easy man

here's the answer:

-cosintegral[1/x] + xSin[1/x]

I got that, too. No way to further simplify?

apart from that the integral of 1/x is log(x) you mean?

If you're desperate, you could try working out a Taylor/Mclaurin series for it, and seeing if the integral of that is recognizable.

You can use a Maclaurin series to evaluate (or at least approximate) it...knowing that

[tex]sin(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^nx^{(2n+1)}}{(2n+1)!}[/tex]

you can replace x with 1/x and integrate to get:

[tex]\int sin(\frac{1}{x})=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{2(2n+1)!x^{2n}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Originally posted by matt grime
apart from that the integral of 1/x is log(x) you mean?

Wrong. ∫1/x dx = ln |x| + C.

∫1/(x(ln 10)) dx = log |x| + C.

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus

When a mathematician says "log" they are generally talking about the natural logarithm.

Originally posted by master_coda
When a mathematician says "log" they are generally talking about the natural logarithm.

Right, and the rest of the time they usually mean [tex]log_2[/tex]
but anything other than [tex]log_e[/tex] gets a base.

Originally posted by NateTG
Right, and the rest of the time they usually mean [tex]log_2[/tex]
but anything other than [tex]log_e[/tex] gets a base.

I don't see too many mathematicians refer to [itex]\log_2[/itex] as [itex]\log[/itex].

It's typically for math/cs tpe situations and usually only applies to situations where hte base is not particuarly important.

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus

yes, i did omit the modulus sign, however you should probably be told that log always means base e. This is completely standard in mathematics, and just one more thing they misteach at high school

After all what other base would you possibly want?

This might help too:

sin(1/x) is an odd function (meaning f(-x) = -f(x)).

The definite integral of any odd function on the interval [-a,a] is 0.

one generally wouldn't integrate over a region where the function is not defined. (no choice at zero can make it continuous, interestingly enough, not that that's either here or there, and not that any choice would make the integral be anything but zero anyway, though 0 is the only choice that keeps it a genuine odd function.)

I should have been more careful when answering, but isn't the integral still well defined since {0} is a set of measure 0?

Do you mean to use Lebesgue integration?

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}[/tex] might also not exist and thus cause problems.

Originally posted by curiousbystander
I should have been more careful when answering, but isn't the integral still well defined since {0} is a set of measure 0?

The function hasn't been defined at 0, that's all. It is true that any assignment of a value at zero will produce a function that is Riemann integrable (you don't need to use the machinery of Lesbegue integration on it). Only the setting the value at 0 to be 0 will provide an odd function. No assignment produces a continuous function.

I wouldn't like to make any definitive statements about the propriety of integrating a function over region in which it contains points where it isn't defined, other than it seems something you shouldn't do.

Originally posted by NateTG
Do you mean to use Lebesgue integration?

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}[/tex] might also not exist and thus cause problems.
Good point-- I had confused the Riemannian integral with the Lebesque. Time to shake the dust off my old real analysis books and review the basics. I think it will still work out:

If I follow Matt's advice and extend the domain of [tex]\sin(\frac{1}{x})[/tex] to include 0 so that [tex]\sin(\frac{1}{x})=0[/tex], then I have a function which is bounded and continuous everywhere except 0. The Riemann Integral is defined for such a function, and since the function is odd and defined on all of [-a,a] its integral will be 0.

Since the function is Riemann integrable on [-a,a] it will also be Lebesgue integrable on [-a,a] and the two integrals will agree.

Now that I'm working with the Lebesgue integral my functions only need to be defined almost everywhere so the Lebesgue integral of [tex]\sin(\frac{1}{x})[/tex] from [-a,a] exists and is 0.

Anybody see any problems with that? Analysis has never been my strong point.

Edit: Matt's last post came up while I was in the midst of writing this so I didn't see it. It does sound like I'm responding directly to what he wrote though doesn't it?

Last edited:
i get CosIntegral(1/x)+xSin(1/x)

where CosIntegral(x) == Log[x] + EulerGamma + (1/2) Sum[((-1)^k x^(2 k))/(k (2k)!), {k, 1, Infinity}]

1. What is the general method for integrating sin(1/x)?

The general method for integrating sin(1/x) involves using the substitution method. This means substituting u = 1/x, and then using the chain rule to rewrite the integral in terms of u. From there, you can use the basic trigonometric identities to simplify and solve the integral.

2. Can I use u-substitution to integrate sin(1/x)?

Yes, u-substitution is the most common method for integrating sin(1/x). It allows you to simplify the integral and solve it using basic trigonometric identities.

3. Is there a specific technique for integrating sin(1/x)?

Yes, as mentioned before, the substitution method (specifically u-substitution) is the most commonly used technique for integrating sin(1/x). It allows for simplification and use of trigonometric identities to solve the integral.

4. Is it possible to integrate sin(1/x) without using substitution?

While substitution is the most commonly used method for integrating sin(1/x), there are other techniques that can be used such as integration by parts or using trigonometric identities directly. However, these methods may be more complex and may not always work for every integral.

5. Are there any special cases for integrating sin(1/x)?

Yes, there are special cases when integrating sin(1/x). These include when the integral is evaluated at x = 0 or when the limits of integration are infinite. In these cases, special techniques may be needed to solve the integral.