Generic KE problem with a twist.

• Thread starter Fungiefips
  • Start date
In summary, the question posed is about the distance required for a car traveling at half the velocity of another car to come to a stop. The possible answers given are 1/2 the distance, 1/4 the distance, and not enough information provided. The student initially assumes equal masses and calculates the kinetic energy for each car, but upon reading the problem realizes that the masses are not specified. The student then answers not enough information, but the teacher marks B as the correct answer. The student raises a valid question about calculating braking distance without knowing the masses of the cars or their braking capabilities.
Fungiefips

Homework Statement

"Two cars are traveling along a road, and one is going at half the velocity of the other one. What is the distance required to come to a stop for the car going at the slower speed relative to the faster car."

The possible answers listed were as:
A:1/2 the distance
B:1/4 the distance
C:Not enough info provided

Homework Equations

I suppose it would be KE=1/2m·v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

At first glance I plugged in a mass of 2000kg for each and a speed of 20m/s for the fast one and 10m/s for the slow one. The resulting KE's came out to be 40,000 and 10,000 respectively. However after reading the problem I discovered that it was not stated that the masses were equal, so I answered not enough info. Upon receiving my test back, lo and behold my teacher marked that B was in fact correct. My question is, how is it possible to calculate the braking distance without knowing the masses of the cars, and without also knowing the braking capability of each car. i.e. A Ferrari Enzo can brake from 60-0 in 109 ft, whereas a 2005 Volkswagen Jetta takes 130 ft. to stop 60-0 (both cars weighing 3230 lbs).

Physics news on Phys.org
Great question. Your initial intuitive answer is the same as mine, but maybe increasing mass increases the F=mu*N friction force enough to offest it in the ideal?

Last edited:

I would argue that without knowing the masses and braking capabilities of the cars, it is not possible to accurately calculate the distance required for the slower car to come to a stop relative to the faster car. This is because the kinetic energy equation, KE=1/2mv^2, depends on both the mass and velocity of an object. Without knowing the mass of the slower car, it is not possible to accurately calculate its kinetic energy, and therefore the distance required for it to come to a stop.

Additionally, the braking capabilities of the cars also play a crucial role in determining the stopping distance. As mentioned in the example of the Ferrari Enzo and Volkswagen Jetta, even cars with similar masses can have vastly different braking distances. Therefore, without knowing the braking capabilities of the cars, it is not possible to accurately determine the distance required for the slower car to come to a stop relative to the faster car.

To accurately solve this problem, more information is needed such as the masses and braking capabilities of the cars. Without this information, it is not possible to provide a definite answer and the correct response would be "not enough information provided".

1. What is a Generic KE Problem with a Twist?

A Generic KE (Kinetic Energy) problem with a twist is a type of physics problem where a known mass and velocity are given, but with a twist or added element that requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to solve.

2. How do you solve a Generic KE Problem with a Twist?

To solve a Generic KE problem with a twist, you must first identify the known variables, such as mass and velocity. Then, apply the appropriate formula for kinetic energy (KE = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2) and factor in the twist or added element to determine the final answer.

3. What are some common twists in a Generic KE Problem?

Some common twists in a Generic KE problem include changes in mass or velocity, the inclusion of friction or air resistance, and the addition of other forces such as gravity or a spring.

4. Can you provide an example of a Generic KE Problem with a Twist?

Sure, an example of a Generic KE problem with a twist would be a ball rolling down a ramp with friction. The known variables would be the mass of the ball and the angle of the ramp, but the twist would be the presence of friction, which would decrease the velocity and therefore the kinetic energy of the ball.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for Generic KE Problems with a Twist?

To improve problem-solving skills for Generic KE problems with a twist, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of twists and how they affect the problem. Additionally, breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps can make it easier to solve. Working with a study group or seeking help from a tutor can also be beneficial.