Archimedes principle free fall problem

In summary: But the one with the hole will have less buoyant force acting on it, since water can enter and fill the space inside, reducing the volume displaced. As a result, it will sink more easily than the other solid body without a hole. In summary, the Archimedes principle only applies to objects in a fluid under the influence of gravity. In free-fall, there is no gravity and therefore no buoyant force. Regarding the second question, the hollow body with a hole will experience less buoyant force and therefore sink more easily than the solid body without a hole.
heidari
I have 2 question about the Archimedes principle?
1. does it hold in a vessel in a free fall? why?
2. if we imppressed 2 same hollow bodies in water, and just one of them has a hole at the bottom. which one is more difficult and why?

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you're talkng about buoyancy. Re question 1) I would say no, first off a fluid becomes a somewhat different creature in free fall. without external confinement, the forces keeping it in one place are unlikely to provide enough cohesion--I would think of it sort of like a pool of mercury. Without weight of either fluid or object, it sort of lacks meaning.

for 2) what do you think? Imagine a golf ball sized whiffle ball vs a pingpong ball. Remember archimedes said buoyancy forces are proportional to the volume displaced.

Buoyancy depends on gravity so it won't operate in free-fall. If you had a globule of water in zero-G and gently placed something inside it, the object would stay still except for currents. You can't have 'floating' if there's no up or down.

2. if we imppressed 2 same hollow bodies in water, and just one of them has a hole at the bottom. which one is more difficult and why?

I don't know what you mean by 'difficult'.

1. What is Archimedes principle?

Archimedes principle states that the buoyant force acting on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How does Archimedes principle apply to free fall problems?

In free fall problems, Archimedes principle is used to calculate the buoyant force acting on an object as it falls through a fluid, such as air or water.

3. What factors affect the buoyant force in a free fall problem?

The buoyant force in a free fall problem is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How do you calculate the buoyant force in a free fall problem?

The buoyant force can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the volume of the object and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can Archimedes principle be applied to objects falling in a vacuum?

No, Archimedes principle only applies to objects falling through a fluid. In a vacuum, there is no fluid to displace and therefore no buoyant force acting on the object.