The Mystery of Aurora Borealis: Electron Acceleration

In summary, the aurora is caused by charged particles from the sun hitting atoms in Earth's atmosphere. The atoms get in upper quantum level and then deexcite by emitting fluorescent light.
SpitfireAce
I'm just wondering whether anyone has any theories as to what causes the electrons in the Aurora Borealis to accelerate (emitting e.m radiation)?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Last edited:
but that's the reason the sky is blue, I thought something special was going on with the aurora... something like the solar wind stretching the Earth's magnetic field, until it snaps and releases its energy, sort of like what happens when the magnetic field of the sun gets distorted and snaps resulting in coronal mass emissions... I am not actually sure where the accelerating electrons come in... but I read that this was the subject of a lot of recent research (that and the complex patterns produced)

no, that isn't the reason the sky is blue (search PF for a full explanation).

the sky is blue due to the fact that the blue end of the spectrum is scattered because the atmosphere is comprised of molecules that are of the order (in size) of the blue wavelength hence the blue light appears 'everywhere' overhead

See, neither charged nor excited particles :wink:

FUNKER said:
the sky is blue due to the fact that the blue end of the spectrum is scattered because the atmosphere is comprised of molecules that are of the order (in size) of the blue wavelength hence the blue light appears 'everywhere' overhead

Actually, dust particles in the atmosphere, as in Reflection Nebulae, which are also blueish in colour, also as with cigarette smoke.

The size of the particles is such that they scatter the blue frequency most efficiently.

Garth

Last edited:
whoops, I didn't notice that he wrote charged particles (I believe I thought it said "photons"), in any case... the sun is constantly emitting solar wind isn't it, why do we only see the aurora during the winter? and why the complex swirls instead of just a ubiquitous green tint

SpitfireAce said:
whoops, I didn't notice that he wrote charged particles (I believe I thought it said "photons"), in any case... the sun is constantly emitting solar wind isn't it, why do we only see the aurora during the winter?
Because it is 'dark in winter'?
and why the complex swirls instead of just a ubiquitous green tint
The solar wind is not constant but fluctuates and its strength varies depending on the phase of the 11 year sun-spot cycle.

Garth

Garth said:
The size of the particles is such that they scatter the blue frequency most efficiently

Wouldn't all of the dust particles have to be nearly uniform in size to be so partial to blue? What an extraordinary coincidence.
Why doesn't the remaining light from which the blue was extracted create odd color effects, and why doesn't the spectrum produced by rainbows and prisms indicate a shortage of blues?

1. What causes the Aurora Borealis?

The Aurora Borealis, also known as the Northern Lights, are caused by collisions between charged particles from the sun and gases in the Earth's atmosphere. These particles are drawn towards the Earth's magnetic poles, resulting in the colorful light display in the sky.

2. How does electron acceleration occur during the Aurora Borealis?

Electron acceleration during the Aurora Borealis is a result of the Earth's magnetic field interacting with the solar wind, a stream of charged particles from the sun. This interaction causes the charged particles to spiral along the magnetic field lines, gaining energy and accelerating towards the Earth's atmosphere.

3. What role does the Earth's atmosphere play in the Aurora Borealis?

The Earth's atmosphere plays a crucial role in the Aurora Borealis. When the charged particles from the sun collide with the gases in the Earth's atmosphere, they emit light of different colors depending on the type of gas and its altitude. Oxygen produces green and red light, while nitrogen produces blue and purple light.

4. How does the strength of the solar wind affect the intensity of the Aurora Borealis?

The strength of the solar wind, determined by the activity of the sun, directly affects the intensity of the Aurora Borealis. When the solar wind is stronger, it can push more charged particles towards the Earth, resulting in a more vibrant and widespread display. During periods of high solar activity, the Aurora Borealis can even be visible at lower latitudes than usual.

5. Is there a specific time or season when the Aurora Borealis is most likely to occur?

The Aurora Borealis can occur at any time of the year, but it is most visible during the winter months in the northern hemisphere and the summer months in the southern hemisphere. This is because the Earth's tilt causes its magnetic field to be more aligned with the solar wind during these seasons, increasing the likelihood of collisions and electron acceleration.