Learning C++ - What Software do I Need?

• C/C++
  • Thread starter malawi_glenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++ Software
In summary, to start programming in C++, you will need a C++ compiler. There are many options available, both free and paid. Some popular choices include Borland's Dev-C++, Microsoft Visual Studio, and mingw. These compilers have the same C++ standard as professional products and can be used on Windows operating systems. Additionally, there are many tutorials and resources available online to help you learn and practice C++.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi!

I want to learn C++. I know some java..

I was wondering what kind of software i need to do C++ on my computer, I have Windows vista premium.

Does it exists software equvalent to BlueJ to C++ ?

Technology news on Phys.org
To make programs, you need a C++ compiler; any will do for learning purposes. There are tons of them out there, but not all are free. I used Borland's Dev-C++ for a while, but later got Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 from my university. Others can recommend their preferred compilers. You can do a simple Google search for free C++ compilers and try them out until you find a good one. Find a good C++ book or tutorial (I believe there is one here on PF) and practice, practice, practice. It really is a great language and is very powerful. Good luck!

Okay thanks a lot =)
I have access to many tutorials on C++, but couldn´t seem to find information about the software needed to start programming ;)

http://bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

Thank you very much!

1. What is C++ and why should I learn it?

C++ is a high-level programming language commonly used for developing software, applications, and games. It is a powerful and versatile language that is used in a wide range of industries, from finance to gaming. Learning C++ can open up many career opportunities and is a valuable skill for any scientist to have.

2. Do I need any prior programming experience to learn C++?

While having prior programming experience can be beneficial, it is not necessary to learn C++. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts such as variables, loops, and functions can make the learning process easier.

3. What software do I need to start learning C++?

To start learning C++, you will need a code editor or an integrated development environment (IDE). Some popular options include Visual Studio, Code::Blocks, and Eclipse. These software programs provide tools for writing, compiling, and debugging your C++ code.

4. Is C++ difficult to learn?

As with any programming language, learning C++ takes time and practice. It has a steep learning curve compared to some other languages, but many resources, such as online tutorials and courses, are available to help make the learning process easier. With dedication and persistence, anyone can learn C++.

5. What can I do with C++ once I have learned it?

C++ has a wide range of applications, from creating desktop software to developing video games. It is also commonly used in embedded systems, such as operating systems and device drivers. With C++, you can create complex and high-performance applications that can run on various platforms and devices.