What Happens When You're Kicked Out of Heaven?

• Thread starter SpaceTiger
  • Start date
In summary: And if they're not complete strangers, but you're still trying to pick them up, you're going to get rejected. In summary, the author thinks that pickup lines are poetic and have a balance of true and ironic intention. He also thinks that the way a person looks is not the only factor that determines whether a pickup line will work or not.
SpaceTiger
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...when they kicked you out of heaven?

I wonder if the girls here prefer this version or the traditional one. Personally, I find the heaven crowd a little too cliquey.

And those wings must be murder on your back...

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you want to join your friend Josh in dancing alone, Id drop any pickup lines like the plague.

I suppose "Hey baby I have a 1000 posts on physics forums" isn't recommended either!

mgb_phys said:
I suppose "Hey baby I have a 1000 posts on physics forums" isn't recommended either!

:rofl:

Indeed. Personally, I love pickup lines. There's something very poetic about them... not the lines themselves, but the way they try to balance true intention with ironic intention in just the right proportions to pique her interest.

Unless you want to join your friend Josh in dancing alone, Id drop any pickup lines like the plague.

Oh, you would, huh? Noted. How do you reel them in there, cyrus?

Annoyingly it doesn't increase the post count if you post again in the same thread.

Posts in GD do not count.

I thought the line was "Did it hurt when you fell from heaven." Not that I would know, I got that book "How to pick up girls" by Arnold Schwartzenegger.

jimmysnyder said:
I thought the line was "Did it hurt when you fell from heaven." Not that I would know, I got that book "How to pick up girls" by Arnold Schwartzenegger.

Does it recommend you lift with your legs and not your back? :biggrin: Some of us are heavier than we look.

Hmm...y'know, now I'm wondering, does it make a difference who is delivering the cheesy pick-up line? In other words, if someone was very physically attractive, would the way he introduces himself make much difference, or is the way it's received based entirely on physical attraction? *runs off to write grant to recruit a group of "hot" men and a group of "geeks" (of the Josh kind) to deliver cheesy pick-up lines in a bar and see if the proportion of positive responses is higher when delivered by "hot" men compared with "geeks"*

I can add a second phase to the study where we then ask the women what stage of their menstrual cycle they're in when the guy asks to see if there's a correlation of proximity to ovulation and likelihood of laughing at a cheesy pick-up line rather than being creeped out by it.

Who wants to fund me? And more importantly, where do I find the hot men to participate in the study? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Who wants to fund me? And more importantly, where do I find the hot men to participate in the study? :biggrin:

You could go to the same group that funded this study. I can imagine how this study started: Two physiologists in a bar: "We definitely need to study that phenomenon scientifically." "What phenomenon?" "Bouncing breasts at 0900. Check it out."

Did it hurt when they kicked you out of heaven?
This is really a pick up line?

I think all I ever did was introduce myself and either ask if I could join the lady, or if I knew the woman from class or some other ongoing social activity, ask if she would be interested in going out, or going for a coffee or lunch.

I don't ever remember 'picking up' a strange woman. As I recall, I usually knew the women I dated from periodic encounters at work or school (high school and university).

Moonbear said:

You could always go to a bar and use pick-up lines on your test subjects. Both hot men and geeks are susceptible to them. You might not be able to raise enough money for your experiment, but you would at least get a few drinks out of it.

Moonbear said:
where do I find the hot men to participate in the study?
I'm thinking, I'm thinking. Is it hot in here, or is it just you?

Huckleberry said:
You could always go to a bar and use pick-up lines on your test subjects. Both hot men and geeks are susceptible to them. You might not be able to raise enough money for your experiment, but you would at least get a few drinks out of it.

:rofl: Even better! Who cares about science as long as I can get free drinks? :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
I don't ever remember 'picking up' a strange woman. As I recall, I usually knew the women I dated from periodic encounters at work or school (high school and university).

That's really the problem with picking up women (or men) in bars. If they're complete strangers, you're going to pick up a whole lot of wrong people before you find even one that might be right. At least when you meet people through activities of some sort or another (classes, organizations, work, parties of mutual friends), you start out knowing you have at least ONE thing in common, which is better than nothing in common. You have to be quite the salesman to be able to convince a total stranger you're worth going out with in the 30 seconds between starting to talk to her and her telling you to get lost. Of course, if you're just both interested in hooking up for nothing more than a one-night stand with a stranger, then the approaching random strangers in a bar thing might work. Nobody with much self-respect would do that though.

This never worked:

"I'm so very very very loooooonley!"

OK, I've done a study of my own. I live in a target rich environment, but being married, I had little choice in targets. Not discouraged, I forged ahead with the study. I delivered the following pick-up lines with the following results: (line: result)

Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?: got lucky.

Is it hot in here or is it just you?: got lucky.

If I told you you had a sexy body, would you hold it against me?: got lucky.

I'm looking for my friend. Do you want to be my friend?: got lucky.

What's a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?: got lucky.

What do you think of the current state of affairs in the Mid-east?: got lucky.

Wanna do it?: got lucky.

Belch, fart, and yawn: got lucky.

Is that a gray hair I see there?: slept on couch.

My conclusion is that women are pretty easy, but not a slam dunk.

Moonbear said:
That's really the problem with picking up women (or men) in bars. If they're complete strangers, you're going to pick up a whole lot of wrong people before you find even one that might be right. At least when you meet people through activities of some sort or another (classes, organizations, work, parties of mutual friends), you start out knowing you have at least ONE thing in common, which is better than nothing in common. You have to be quite the salesman to be able to convince a total stranger you're worth going out with in the 30 seconds between starting to talk to her and her telling you to get lost. Of course, if you're just both interested in hooking up for nothing more than a one-night stand with a stranger, then the approaching random strangers in a bar thing might work. Nobody with much self-respect would do that though.
If I went to a bar, it was usually a social occasion with friends.

In fact, I had a number of lady friends with whom I would do things, either individually or in a group. I enjoyed their company, so I was never interested in going out and picking up women.

It would never have occurred to me to go out and find a woman for a one-nighter, and certainly not a stranger, although probably most of my males friends would do just that.

All of my relationships with woman were platonic, except for the last two which got serious. I married the woman in the latter of those two. Actually my wife and I started out as casual acquaintances, become friends, then started dating and then got engaged - all within 10 months.

Last edited:
jimmysnyder said:
I thought the line was "Did it hurt when you fell from heaven."

That's the traditional version I was referring to.

I'm really enjoying the responses to this, btw. So many personalities. :biggrin:

jimmysnyder said:
Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?: got lucky.

Is it hot in here or is it just you?: got lucky.

If I told you you had a sexy body, would you hold it against me?: got lucky.

I'm looking for my friend. Do you want to be my friend?: got lucky.

What's a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?: got lucky.
If you do those right, then it can be cute/flattering and a humorous and fun first impression.

SpaceTiger said:
That's the traditional version I was referring to.
Whoops, so 'tis. Here's one from Groucho, pick-up artist extraordinaire:

Ever since I met you, I've swept you off my feet.

During my first years at university, I got to know some of the most popular women on campus. Most of the time, they complained about the guys who hit on them.

SpaceTiger said:
...when they kicked you out of heaven?
hmmm...good sense of humour!

And those wings must be murder on your back...

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=86034&postcount=459:biggrin:

Chi Meson said:
This never worked:

"I'm so very very very loooooonley!"

jimmysnyder said:
OK, I've done a study of my own. I live in a target rich environment, but being married, I had little choice in targets. Not discouraged, I forged ahead with the study. I delivered the following pick-up lines with the following results: (line: result)

Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?: got lucky. (Lame)

Is it hot in here or is it just you?: got lucky. (Lame and conveys desperation).

If I told you you had a sexy body, would you hold it against me?: got lucky. (Eh, its ok).

I'm looking for my friend. Do you want to be my friend?: got lucky. (Conveys your a loser with no friends. Expect her to tell you no and turn around.)

What's a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?: got lucky. (Obviously she's there to socialize, again lame).

What do you think of the current state of affairs in the Mid-east?: got lucky. (Lame, no one goes out to talk about the state of the middle east).

Wanna do it?: got lucky. (Lame)

Belch, fart, and yawn: got lucky. (We have a winner)

Is that a gray hair I see there?: slept on couch. (Slap in the face)

My conclusion is that women are pretty easy, but not a slam dunk.

:rofl: These might work on really ugly girls that will go for anything.

The easiest place to approach someone is a dance club. A simple "would you like to dance?" is all it takes.

The funniest pick up was accidental. I walked past a cute guy and I turned around to get another look and he had also turned around and was biting the heel of his palm. He was a bit embarrassed to have been caught and we both laughed and started talking.

Personally, I never say "would you like to dance". Id rather sit there and talk to you and get your number and move on. I would dance with girls already dancing, but I wouldn't take a girl to the dance floor and try to talk to her there. Its not the right place to talk.

cyrusabdollahi said:
These might work on really ugly girls that will go for anything.
I'll show this to my wife and see how she reacts. Better yet, I'll mail it in. I hope your passport is in order.

Do you know how many times really good looking girls hear those stupid one liners from guys at bars all the time?

She would bounce you out of her conversation with her friends before you finished those garbage lines.

I don't know what your wife looks like, or where you live. If you live in a big city and go to a hot bar/club with lots of 'hip' people, that line shows that you're a chump w/out any personality. You can try and see how far it gets you if you want, I wouldn't use it. Ever.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Personally, I never say "would you like to dance". Id rather sit there and talk to you and get your number and move on. I would dance with girls already dancing, but I wouldn't take a girl to the dance floor and try to talk to her there. Its not the right place to talk.
It's after the dance, if you didn't come across as creepy, you start talking.

I've never had a guy get my number and then notice him moving on to another girl. How do girls react to this?

Evo said:
The easiest place to approach someone is a dance club. A simple "would you like to dance?" is all it takes.
Where I go, you don't even need to ask that. Once a night the women line up and the men grab the first one on line and dance her around the floor. When he reaches the front of the line again, he thanks his partner, let's her go and takes the current first one on line. A single waltz will get you 3 women easy and not every woman gets to the front of the line. For those of you saying 'eeeuw, a waltz' I remind you that with a waltz, you are halfway to first base and haven't even insulted her yet.

That does not matter. I just met her. Shes not my GF, and I don't have a ring on my finger. I go out to socialize. Just because I got her number does not mean she will take my call the next day, or that if she does it will work out, so why should I limit myself to talking to only her for the night?

Besides, the place is too packed. And if I turn around, I can promise you some other guy is already talking to her.

:redface: Where I used to go dancing, people danced on walls. It was known for that. I only got talked into that once.

cyrusabdollahi said:
That does not matter. I just met her. Shes not my GF, and I don't have a ring on my finger. I go out to socialize. Just because I got her number does not mean she will take my call the next day, or that if she does it will work out, so why should I limit myself to talking to only her for the night?

Besides, the place is too packed. And if I turn around, I can promise you some other guy is already talking to her.
I was just curious about how you get a girl to give you her number so quickly. I was very reluctant to give out my number, the guy usually would have to hit it off well enough with me after several hours at least before I would even consider it.

Last edited:
jimmysnyder said:
I'll show this to my wife and see how she reacts. Better yet, I'll mail it in. I hope your passport is in order.

I think cyrus' irony detector needs a little repair.

In my experience, women don't care as much what you say as how you say it. If you approach her with confidence and make her feel comfortable, she'll respond well, regardless of what you say (short of insulting her, of course).

For the record, I've never actually used a cheesy pickup line on a complete stranger and I really wasn't expecting people to take me as seriously as they did. My actual "techniques" are similar to what Astronuc described, though I'm sure I've said some really crazy things to girls I later ended up with. Some girls respond well to a goofy sense of humor. :smile:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Do you know how many times really good looking girls hear those stupid one liners from guys at bars all the time?
Actually, that's not true at all. Guys never use them, because they all think the same as you do. The ones who are a bit daring and funny will do it because they know they can pull it off and get a laugh.

I don't know what your wife looks like, or where you live. If you live in a big city and go to a hot bar/club with lots of 'hip' people, that line shows that you're a chump w/out any personality. You can try and see how far it gets you if you want, I wouldn't use it. Ever.
That's because those so-called "hip" people in "hot" clubs are a bunch of superficial snobs who wouldn't know a decent guy if he bit them on the behind (well, actually, THAT might get their attention :uhh:). Just being in a place like that shows you have no personality and just follow the crowd and care more about appearances than substance. If you want to meet lots of people who will never amount to anything, that's a great place to start looking. If you'd like an actually relationship to develop, there's no point wasting time in a place like that.

Evo said:
It's after the dance, if you didn't come across as creepy, you start talking.

I've never had a guy get my number and then notice him moving on to another girl. How do girls react to this?
That would be pretty strange. Do they actually answer the phone and talk to you after that? First off, I don't just give my number to a guy until we've had a nice evening of conversation after the dance...if he just wants to score a bunch of numbers and not get to know me, he can move on to the next person without mine. If I then saw him move along to another group of women and start getting numbers from them too, then I'd know he was nothing but a player and if he bothered to call, he'd get nothing but a quick "don't bother calling again" and I'd hang up. No point wasting time on a player.

jimmysnyder said:
Where I go, you don't even need to ask that. Once a night the women line up and the men grab the first one on line and dance her around the floor. When he reaches the front of the line again, he thanks his partner, let's her go and takes the current first one on line. A single waltz will get you 3 women easy and not every woman gets to the front of the line. For those of you saying 'eeeuw, a waltz' I remind you that with a waltz, you are halfway to first base and haven't even insulted her yet.

Wow, that's cool! I wish there was something like that around here. Actually, that was something I was thinking about just last week, wondering if there's a place around here for ballroom dancing (preferably with lessons before the main dance so us novices can learn a few things and then test them out). All I can find for dance lessons are places for little kids to learn ballet and tap dance, nothing for grownups to learn ballroom dancing. But, maybe there's something offered by some community center or the university rec center that I just haven't found yet. I think that would be a cool way to meet a guy too (and at least I know he'll dance with me if I find him dancing...I'm not interested in a guy who just wants to look "cool" standing or sitting around watching everyone else dance, I am perfectly happy being "uncool" by being the first on and last off the dance floor).