Cutting equal numbers of different length pieces from a known length

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in finding the best method for cutting equal numbers of 5 different lengths of bars (72.16", 71.64", 68.94", 45.46", and 44.13") from bars of known length (240") in order to minimize scrap material. They mention using a trial and error approach but are unsure if it is the most efficient method. They also express interest in finding a mathematical technique to solve this problem and mention their need for 241 sets of the 5 shorter lengths. Another speaker offers to help and the conversation ends with the original speaker discussing the potential application of math to this problem.
jeff_fall2k5
Hello everyone. I'd like to thank everyone for their help in advance.

Ok, here we go. I've got bars of known length (240"). And, I've got to cut equal numbers of 5 different length pieces. The lengths are: 72.16", 71.64", 68.94", 45.46", and 44.13" The whole point is to minimize the amount of scrap material.

I'm going ahead with a more or less trial and error approach. This isn't really working too well. I'd like to somehow know that I've found the best method for making the cuts. I have to think that this is such a common problem that it's been figured out. Anyway, I'm not familiar with any mathematical techniques that are well suited for solving this problem.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The number of bars is fixed, or you can have as many as you want?

you can have as many 240" bars as you want. Infact, what I really need is 241 sets of the 5 shorter lengths.

Aha! You do have a constraint!
Ok! I will try to find out how the cuts must be done. I don't know how right now, but I will try! :smile:

Thanks a lot! You know, I'm going to have very similar type problems for prolly the rest of my career. Is there any type of math that can be applied to this problem? I mean, matrices sure come in handy at times, but there's really a lot more to it

1. What is the purpose of cutting equal numbers of different length pieces from a known length?

The purpose of cutting equal numbers of different length pieces from a known length is to create equal-sized pieces that can be used for various purposes, such as building structures, conducting experiments, or creating art pieces. This process ensures consistency and accuracy in the pieces being used.

2. How do you determine the length of each piece when cutting equal numbers from a known length?

To determine the length of each piece, you first need to know the total length of the known length. Then, divide the total length by the number of pieces you want to cut. This will give you the length of each piece. For example, if the known length is 10 inches and you want to cut it into 5 equal pieces, each piece will be 2 inches long.

3. What tools are needed for cutting equal numbers of different length pieces from a known length?

The tools needed for this process may vary depending on the material being cut. However, some common tools include a ruler or measuring tape to determine the length, a pencil to mark the cutting points, and a sharp cutting tool such as scissors, a knife, or a saw. It is important to use precise and accurate tools to ensure the pieces are cut to the desired length.

4. Are there any tips for ensuring accuracy when cutting equal numbers of different length pieces?

One tip for ensuring accuracy is to double-check your measurements and calculations before making any cuts. It is also helpful to mark the cutting points clearly and use a straight edge or guide to ensure straight cuts. Additionally, taking your time and using steady, controlled movements can help prevent any mistakes or discrepancies in the pieces.

5. Can this process be applied to any material or does it only work for certain materials?

This process can be applied to a variety of materials, including wood, paper, fabric, and metal. However, the specific tools and techniques used may vary depending on the material. For example, cutting wood may require a saw, while cutting fabric may require scissors. It is important to consider the material being cut and choose the appropriate tools and techniques for the best results.