Calculating the Resistance and Capacitor for a Snubber Circuit with 3HP DC Motor

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a PWM controlling a 3HP DC motor, where the MOSFET and diode are getting damaged due to high return current/voltage. The solution is to use a snubber circuit, and the capacitor and resistance needed for the circuit can be calculated using various resources available online.
bencyp
Hi,

I have build a PWM to control a 3HP DC motor. The problem is that the MOSFET is getting damaged because of high return current/voltage. I used a Diode at the motor end but that diode is also getting burnt.

Main DC 380 Volt
PWM used to control a 220 DC 3HP motor

I found out that a snubber circuit is need to take up the spike generated by the motor when the MOSFET is switched off. Can anyone help me with the exact calculation of Capacitor and Resistance needed for Snubber?

Regards,
Bency

Engineering news on Phys.org
Generally with the snubber circuit, you will size the capacitor to resonate with the power inductance at some frequency, and will size the resistor to damp that resonance rather strongly. You want to use the cap to temporarily absorb the transient energy, and the resistor to dissipate it over about a half cycle of the LC resonance.

I googled snubber circuit tutorial, and got lots of good hits. Here's an app note from Maxim, for example:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/848

Hi Bency,

It seems like you are experiencing some issues with your PWM circuit and MOSFET due to high return current/voltage from your 3HP DC motor. This is a common problem in motor control circuits and using a snubber circuit is a good solution to protect your components from damage.

To calculate the resistance and capacitor values for your snubber circuit, you will need to know the switching frequency of your PWM and the inductance of the motor. The formula for calculating the resistor value is R = (Vd * T)/Ipk, where Vd is the voltage rating of your diode, T is the switching period (1/frequency), and Ipk is the peak current through the diode. The capacitor value can be calculated using the formula C = (Ipk * T)/Vspike, where Ipk is the same as before and Vspike is the maximum spike voltage.

It is important to note that these calculations are just estimates and you may need to experiment with different values to find the optimal snubber circuit for your specific setup. Additionally, you may need to consider the power rating of your resistor to ensure it can handle the current and the voltage rating of your capacitor to prevent it from breaking down.

I hope this helps and good luck with your snubber circuit! Remember to always take necessary precautions when working with high voltages.

1. What is a snubber circuit and why is it used with a 3HP DC motor?

A snubber circuit is an electrical circuit used to suppress voltage spikes or transients that occur when a switch or motor is turned off. It is commonly used with a 3HP DC motor to protect the motor and other components from damage caused by these voltage spikes.

2. How do I calculate the resistance for a snubber circuit?

The resistance for a snubber circuit can be calculated using the formula R = V/I, where R is the resistance, V is the voltage, and I is the current. In this case, the voltage and current values should be taken from the specifications of the 3HP DC motor.

3. Can I use any capacitor for a snubber circuit with a 3HP DC motor?

No, it is important to choose a capacitor with the appropriate voltage and capacitance ratings for the snubber circuit. The voltage rating should be higher than the maximum voltage that will be applied to the circuit, and the capacitance should be chosen based on the desired level of attenuation for the voltage spikes.

4. How does a snubber circuit affect the performance of a 3HP DC motor?

A snubber circuit can improve the performance of a 3HP DC motor by reducing voltage spikes and protecting the motor from damage. However, it can also introduce some losses in the circuit, so it is important to choose the right components to minimize these losses.

5. Can a snubber circuit be used with other types of motors?

Yes, a snubber circuit can be used with other types of motors, such as AC motors or smaller DC motors. However, the calculations for the resistance and capacitor values may vary depending on the motor specifications and the desired level of attenuation for voltage spikes.