Phi is pronounced fi in America, not fee

• Thread starter Bill_Smith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phi
Next time someone pronounces phi as "fee" correct them and use the reasons behind the pronunciation as your logic. This issue usually arises with math professors, so don't be afraid to call them out on it in class. Maybe for the function f(x) we should start saying "eff of eck-ees" instead of "eff of ecks" to show the "fee" people that we are more cultured than them. In summary, the letter phi is pronounced as "fi" in America, not "fee" like in Greece, and it is important to use the correct pronunciation in order to avoid confusion and show cultural understanding.
Bill_Smith
Phi is pronounced fi in America, not fee!

Bill_Smith is Online:

Fi, not Fee!
Okay people, here is the logic behind phi. Yes, in Greece you would pronounce the letter phi as fee. If you lived in Mexico you would pronounce the letter x as eck-ees. In America we pronounce the letter x as ecks. So, we have learned that the same symbol can have different pronunciations in different parts of the world. If you pronounce phi as fee (like an uninformed idiot who arbitrarily mixes pronunciations from different languages), then logic suggests that you should hold to that convention and pronounce pi as pee, and chi as key. Because we already have a letter in English that is pronounced pee (the letter p), it would be confusing to hear someone describe the area of a circle as pee are squared. Therefore, intelligent people say pie are squared. So the next time you hear some idiot (who is trying to be different) say fee instead of fi, please correct them and use these reasons as your logic. This problem usually originates with math professors, so don't be afraid to call them out in class. Maybe for f(x) we should start saying eff of eck-ees instead of eff of ecks to show the fee people that we are more cultured than them. PLEASE STOP SOUNDING LIKE A LOSER BY SAYING FEE! !

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, I foresee a thread lock or even an account banning in your future. This forum entitles everyone to their own thoughts and beliefs...

Just calm down and have yourself a nice, cold dos eckses

Last edited:
Knowledge, logic and concepts are more important than pronunciation. :wink:

Who wants to bet this guy is a freshman?

Really? [itex]\rho[/itex] is pronounce pie, and not pee?

Lay off the caffeine methinks. :tongue2:

Did you know that caveat emptor (buyer beware) is pronounced caweat emptor, always gives me an the chaps a good guffaw when someone mispronounces it, plebians eh? :rolleyes:

jimmysnyder said:
Really? [itex]\rho[/itex] is pronounce pie, and not pee?

[itex]\rho[/itex] is pronounced rho and not ree!

:smile: … it's all greek to me! … :smile:

:eek:...Is your statement amazingly important that it has to be posted on two thread...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1640912

...And if it makes happy, I say it as 'Fi'.

Bill_Smith said:
Bill_Smith is Online:

PLEASE STOP SOUNDING LIKE A LOSER!

If this were my only concern...worrying about whether or not a kid likes the way I talk!

Bill_Smith said:
Bill_Smith is Online:

Fi, not Fee!
Okay people, here is the logic behind phi. Yes, in Greece you would pronounce the letter phi as fee. If you lived in Mexico you would pronounce the letter x as eck-ees. In America we pronounce the letter x as ecks. So, we have learned that the same symbol can have different pronunciations in different parts of the world. If you pronounce phi as fee (like an uninformed idiot who arbitrarily mixes pronunciations from different languages), then logic suggests that you should hold to that convention and pronounce pi as pee, and chi as key. Because we already have a letter in English that is pronounced pee (the letter p), it would be confusing to hear someone describe the area of a circle as pee are squared. Therefore, intelligent people say pie are squared. So the next time you hear some idiot (who is trying to be different) say fee instead of fi, please correct them and use these reasons as your logic. This problem usually originates with math professors, so don't be afraid to call them out in class. Maybe for f(x) we should start saying eff of eck-ees instead of eff of ecks to show the fee people that we are more cultured than them. PLEASE STOP SOUNDING LIKE A LOSER BY SAYING FEE! !

You don't have to "! !"...lol.. Calm down.:smile:

Google_Spider said:
Knowledge, logic and concepts are more important than pronunciation. :wink:

Correct!

Bill Smith clearly is not familiar with the real cause of this, the classic American song:
“Phi, phi Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levy
but the levy was dry…”
The pronunciation is just a matter of patriotism, don'cha know.

Last edited:
"pie are squared"?

Look, I've eaten pie for years, and most of them were circular. Except those ones you get in convenience stores, and they're kind of rectangular ...

But, since I studied Classical Greek in college, I say "fee", "kee", "psee", and yes, occasionally "pee". Label me "loser"! fee fie foe fum to you!

And by the way, "eck-ees", as in Dos Equis, XX, is the plural. And it's also damned tasty -- in the amber, anyway.

CaptainQuasar said:
Bill Smith clearly is not familiar with the real cause of this, the classic American song:
but the levy was dry…”
Is that the one that continues …
“Theta'll be the day that I die…”?​

I never understood that … :confused:

Hoorah!

Bill_Smith said:
Bill_Smith is Online:

Fi, not Fee!
Okay people, here is the logic behind phi. Yes, in Greece you would pronounce the letter phi as fee. If you lived in Mexico you would pronounce the letter x as eck-ees. In America we pronounce the letter x as ecks.
Unless you were pronouncing it as part of the Spanish alphabet. There is no phi in the English alphabet, that's why we call it a Greek letter.

If you pronounce phi as fee (like an uninformed idiot who arbitrarily mixes pronunciations from different languages), then logic suggests that you should hold to that convention and pronounce pi as pee, and chi as key.
Nope, chi isn't pronounced "key", it's pronounced "clear your throat of phlegm-ee".

Because we already have a letter in English that is pronounced pee (the letter p), it would be confusing to hear someone describe the area of a circle as pee are squared.
If you are writing down pi, and understand what it represents, there is no confusion.

Therefore, intelligent people say pie are squared.
Not really. Most recognize that pies are round. Intelligent people don't go off injecting the formula for the circumference of circle into casual conversation.

So the next time you hear some idiot (who is trying to be different) say fee instead of fi, please correct them and use these reasons as your logic.
I see no logic in your argument. Since all the other Greek letters are generally pronounced correctly (unless you're hanging around the frat houses), you should be arguing for pi to be pronounced pee, though as you pointed out, it's an exception made for clarity. Intelligent people realize that Greek letters are pronounced with Greek pronunciation, while English letters are pronounced with English pronunciation (by the way, if you think no exceptions should be made, then you better start calling z "zed" instead of "zee").

This problem usually originates with math professors, so don't be afraid to call them out in class.
Maybe you should spend more time paying attention to the math lesson rather than your professor's pronunciation. Then again, if you start interrupting the lesson to complain about pronunciation, I'm sure your classmates will just love you. :rolleyes:

Maybe for f(x) we should start saying eff of eck-ees instead of eff of ecks to show the fee people that we are more cultured than them. PLEASE STOP SOUNDING LIKE A LOSER BY SAYING FEE! !
:rofl: I have no idea what set you off on this rant, but I can assure you it does not make you sound more cultured. Sorry, but mispronunciation of Greek letters belongs in the frat houses with massive beer consumption, it doesn't fit with an educated classroom setting.

Moonbear said:
Therefore, intelligent people say pie are squared.
Not really. Most recognize that pies are round. Intelligent people don't go off injecting the formula for the circumference of circle into casual conversation.

I know at least a few that do, but they generally say "Too are pie."

Some of the less intelligent say "Dee pie".

Not that the last is incorrect. It just it invokes a response of "Doh, pee!"

Bill_Smith said:
Therefore, intelligent people say pie are squared!

:smile: But well-rounded people say two pie are better than one! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
:smile: But well-rounded people say two pie are better than one! :smile:

"two pie are"! LOL! :rofl:

Well, I actually do say "fee" for ɸ. But in person I talk like http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1877201424287845036&q=%22the+continental%22&total=1777&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1" [Broken] (YT).

Last edited by a moderator:
Let 'a' be the thickness of my pizza and 'z' its radius. The volume of food I am about to ingest equals pi z z a. And of course we say "pee-dza" and not "pie-dza" so that should prove something. The paradox is that we also call it a pizza pie. Strange world we live in. I should rant about it.

out of whack said:
Let 'a' be the thickness of my pizza and 'z' its radius. The volume of food I am about to ingest equals pi z z a. And of course we say "pee-dza" and not "pie-dza" so that should prove something. The paradox is that we also call it a pizza pie. Strange world we live in. I should rant about it.

I'm from Joisey...it's just called a "pie" there. Though, there the "Sicilian" pies are square.

Where I come from, we all eat pies - we're all pi etas!

And the ones who beat everyone else in competitions are pi eta betas! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Where I come from, we all eat pies - we're all pi etas!

And the ones who beat everyone else in competitions are pi eta betas! :smile:
That's a nu one! Iota congratulate you.

gamma gamma hey! gamma gamma hey!

Last edited by a moderator:
CaptainQuasar said:
but the levy was dry…”

That was hilarious! :rofl:

tiny-tim said:
Is that the one that continues …
“Theta'll be the day that I die…”?​

I never understood that … :confused:

BOOOO! Beta try again.

Hearken very closely, I will quoth this only once:
"Fie on you all!"

O'me'ga' hafta open up a can of punning whoop▒▒s on you guys soon…

(Ω and "I'm a-gonna"… sorry, it was a stretch.)

xi

(sigh)

1. What is the correct pronunciation of Phi in America?

The correct pronunciation of Phi in America is "fi".

2. Why is Phi pronounced "fi" in America?

Phi is pronounced "fi" in America because it follows the traditional pronunciation used in Greek and Latin.

3. Is "fee" ever an acceptable pronunciation of Phi in America?

No, "fee" is not an acceptable pronunciation of Phi in America. It is considered incorrect and may cause confusion in academic and scientific settings.

4. Are there any other words or letters that are pronounced differently in America compared to their original language?

Yes, there are many words and letters that are pronounced differently in America compared to their original language. For example, the letter "Z" is pronounced "zee" in America, but "zed" in British English.

5. How important is it to use the correct pronunciation of Phi in America?

Using the correct pronunciation of Phi in America is important in academic and scientific contexts, as it ensures clear communication and demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the subject matter.