Should Eggs Be Refrigerated or Left Out?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
In summary: They can last a while in a warm environment.I've never bought eggs unrefrigerated, in fact, I've never heard of it.Same... the fact that this question even has to be asked makes me sad...I believe the ones that are out in the store are there because of baking reasons. I read online that it's better for baking purposes because you can just pop it right at home and get straight to baking since it's near room temperature. I also heard that's why before you bake you should leave the eggs out for awhile (not sure since I haven't really thought of it this way before in terms of refrigerating eggs...).But that's pretty much why we do it
tgt
WHen you buy them they are not refridgerated but everyone seems to put it in a fridge when they're home. What do you do and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eggs should stay in the refrigerator until they're cooked.

I've never bought eggs unrefrigerated, in fact, I've never heard of it.

tgt said:
WHen you buy them they are not refridgerated but everyone seems to put it in a fridge when they're home. What do you do and why?

It's more or less like a safe place to keep them. Kept anywhere else carelessly may cause them to break or something..

More or less it's for our own psychological reasons, i guess.

Well it depends where you get them.

At my stores, they refrigerate the eggs. I mean the way I see it, they just do that so the eggs last longer. That's mainly the reason why my parents store them in the fridge. It definitely would last longer in a fridge IMO than just leaving it outside.

I believe the ones that are out in the store are there because of baking reasons. I read online that it's better for baking purposes because you can just pop it right at home and get straight to baking since it's near room temperature. I also heard that's why before you bake you should leave the eggs out for awhile (not sure since I haven't really thought of it this way before in terms of refrigerating eggs...).

But that's pretty much why we do it. Plus, in our place, we wouldn't want eggs laying around anyways, little sister might find it and throw em around the house. :)

I carpool with a guy who has a hobby farm and we were talking about fresh eggs just the other day. He said you don't have to keep them cold. They will keep a long time at room temp.

Seems strange but I believe him.

montoyas7940 said:
I carpool with a guy who has a hobby farm and we were talking about fresh eggs just the other day. He said you don't have to keep them cold. They will keep a long time at room temp.

Seems strange but I believe him.

I actually watched on FoodTV that Alton Brown (one of those scientific chefs lol) said refrigerated eggs last much longer.

Maybe someone can test this or already has experience with it?

If I remember correctly... I read an article once about carrying eggs in a tube filled with glycerin to keep them fresh on hiking trips. Perhaps the glycerin acts in place of the natural protective seal.

Wow. I just read your links, Evo. Has everything already been discussed at one time or another on PF.

montoyas7940 said:
Wow. I just read your links, Evo. Has everything already been discussed at one time or another on PF.

I actually did quite a bit of searching in this website and believe it or not, even the most "random" topics (such as these) get discussed here.

This is mainly why it is usually more beneficial to search first before creating topics. :)

montoyas7940 said:
Yes, yes, I am afraid that "EVERY" topic in this universe has already been discussed and solved on PF.

:tongue2:

lisab said:
I've never bought eggs unrefrigerated, in fact, I've never heard of it.

Same... the fact that this question even has to be asked makes me sad...

Well it's not that uncommon for me and I live in California.

You just have to go to non-American stores and you'll find them.

Poop-Loops said:
Same... the fact that this question even has to be asked makes me sad...
Uhm, you need to read the facts. Eggs (unprocessed) do not need refrigeration. :smile:

Last edited:
You can not make a good yorkie pudding with refrigerated eggs, that's my excuse for flat
puddings any way.

My wife just cracked open a fertilized egg earlier this week. I hadn't seen one of those since I was a kid.

What is the recommended temperature to store eggs?

The recommended temperature to store eggs is between 33°F and 40°F. This temperature range helps to slow down the growth of bacteria and keep the eggs fresh for a longer period of time.

Do eggs need to be refrigerated?

It is recommended to refrigerate eggs to help maintain their freshness and prevent potential bacterial growth. However, in some countries, eggs are not refrigerated and are kept at room temperature.

How long can eggs be left unrefrigerated?

Eggs should not be left unrefrigerated for more than 2 hours. Bacteria can grow rapidly at room temperature, so it is important to store eggs in the fridge to keep them safe to consume.

Can I refrigerate eggs after they have been left out?

If eggs have been left out at room temperature for more than 2 hours, it is not recommended to refrigerate them. The change in temperature can cause condensation on the shell, which can facilitate the growth of bacteria. It is best to discard any eggs that have been left out for too long.

What is the best way to store eggs in the fridge?

Eggs should be stored in their original carton in the main body of the fridge, rather than in the door. This helps to maintain a consistent temperature and prevents the eggs from being exposed to fluctuating temperatures. It is also important to keep eggs away from any strong-smelling foods, as they can absorb odors easily.