Quick vector question (involving coulomb's law)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the vector for the force experienced by particle 0 from particle 3. The magnitude of the force is given, but the vector components need to be determined. The charge of q0 and q3 are both positive, indicating a repulsive force. The overall force will be in the southwest direction, but the vector equation found is heading northeast. The solution is to take the components of the vector and label them appropriately.
Terp

Homework Statement

Picture1.png

Homework Equations

It's given in the answer box.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I found that equation for the magnitude of the force experienced from particle 0 by particle 3. I know it to be correct. However, vectors have always confused me, could anybody bump me in the right direction on how to label the equation appropriately with vectors? (using y hat and z hat). The distance between particle 0 and 2 is d2, and between particle 2 and 3 is d3. So it's a 45* angle at the hypotenuse.

Would it be F = (kq0q3)y/(sqrt(2d2^2)z)? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mastering Physics, my favorite!:rolleyes:

You have the magnitude of the force on charge zero. You now need to find the vector describing the force, which will have the form:

[tex]\vec{F}=F_y \hat{y} + F_z \hat{z}[/tex]

where F_y and F_z are the y and z components of the force, respectively.

Does this help?

One has to split the force due to each pair of particles into their separate components then apply vector addition to find the total force.

Thanks for the replies guys, and I know that's exactly what I have to do, I'm just unsure of how the equation would split up. I'm confused because the force is the magnitude of the force along the hypotenuse, how can that be split up into two vectors?

PS. I'm not a huge fan of mastering physics, or online homework in general. :)

Last edited:
How would you find the length of the sides of a right-angled triangle given the hypotenuse and some other information (such as angle or one of the other sides)?

The pythagorean theorem, which is what I used to distance for the d^2 in the equation for the magnitude I found. Both the base and height of the triangle are d2. So the hypotenuse is [tex]\sqrt{2d\stackrel{2}{2}}[/tex]. But how can that factor into the coulomb equation I found?

EDIT: Would I just use the equation I found, solve for [tex]\sqrt{2d\stackrel{2}{2}}[/tex], and plug that into [tex]\sqrt{2d\stackrel{2}{2}}[/tex] for each side, and label it appropriately?

Last edited:
Well like you say the magnitude you've worked out is like the force along the hypotenuse of a triangle. So you just need to take the components of that vector. See the following web page for more details about that.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vect.html

Okay, so I'll call the equation I found A. So it would simply be

F= Acos(45)y + Asin(45)z. But sin(45) is undefined, which just brings up another question, haha.

EDIT: STupid mistake, sorry. arcsin(45) is undefined.

Last edited:
Okay, well I tried this answer, which makes sense, but mastering physics says it's wrong.

Picture2.png

What looks wrong?

Bump! Still seeking some assistance with this :). Anybody have any idea what's wrong with my answer above? Thanks!

Ok, what is the charge of q0? What direction will the overall force be acting in. that should help you with the components.

Kurdt said:
Ok, what is the charge of q0? What direction will the overall force be acting in. that should help you with the components.

The charges of q0 and q3 are positive, therefore it's a repulsion affect. However, I'd think the magnitude of the overall force would depends on how big the charge of q3 is.

I have a feeling I'm overlooking something blatantly obvious. Thanks again for helpin out.

So what's the force on particle 0 from particle 3 then? That is what direction will it be traveling if it is being repulsed?

It will be traveling down and to the left, the particle will go southwest of its current position if it's allowed to move.

Last edited:
..and your vector is heading north east.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law calculated?

Coulomb's Law is calculated using the equation F = k(q1q2)/r2, where F is the electrostatic force, k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to all charged particles?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to all charged particles as long as they are at rest and the distance between them is relatively large compared to their size.

4. How does distance affect the force between two charged particles?

The force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force decreases.

5. What is the unit of measurement for the Coulomb constant, k?

The unit of measurement for the Coulomb constant, k, is Nm2/C2. This unit is derived from the units of force (N), distance (m), and charge (C) in the Coulomb's Law equation.