Motor Resistance Homework: Calculate R for 54V, 140W

In summary, to plug the 54 V motor into a 120 V outlet, a resistance of 31.114 ohm is required. This can be calculated by determining the current drawn by the motor and the voltage drop needed across the resistor, which is found by subtracting the motor voltage from the outlet voltage. Then, using the formula P = (V^2)/R, the resistance can be calculated.
yuvlevental

Homework Statement

Here's another motor--this one operates on 54 V and does work at a rate of 140 W. How much resistance must be connected in series to this motor, if you wish to plug it into a 120 V outlet?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure, but:
P = (V^2)/R
Where P is power, V is voltage, and R is resistance.

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I supposed to subtract the motor voltage from the outlet voltage?

((120-54)^2)/140 = 31.114 ohm

I know that this is wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
yuvlevental said:
Am I supposed to subtract the motor voltage from the outlet voltage?

Yes, but you're not supposed to just throw that difference into the power formula.

Try to answer the following questions in order.

1.) Given that you know the voltage and power ratings of the motor, what current will it draw?

2.) Given that you know the voltage of the voltage rating of the motor, what voltage drop do you require across the resistor? (This is where you subtract the voltages).

3.) Given that you know the current through the resistor and the voltage across it, what is the required resistance?

thanks, i got it

1. What is motor resistance?

Motor resistance is the measure of the opposition to the flow of electric current in a motor. It is determined by the material, size, and shape of the motor's conductive components, such as the wires and coils.

2. How do I calculate R for 54V, 140W?

To calculate motor resistance, you will need to use the formula R = V^2 / P, where R is the resistance in ohms, V is the voltage in volts, and P is the power in watts. For the given values of 54V and 140W, the calculated resistance would be 2.92 ohms.

3. Why is motor resistance important?

Motor resistance is important because it affects the performance and efficiency of a motor. A lower resistance allows for a higher flow of current, resulting in a more powerful motor. However, too much resistance can lead to overheating and damage to the motor.

4. How does motor resistance impact motor speed?

The resistance of a motor can impact its speed by affecting the amount of current flowing through it. A lower resistance allows for a higher current flow, resulting in a faster motor speed. Conversely, a higher resistance will limit the current flow and slow down the motor.

5. Can motor resistance be changed?

Yes, motor resistance can be changed by altering the material, size, or shape of the motor's conductive components. This can be done by using different types of wires or by adjusting the number of coils in the motor. However, it is important to note that changing the resistance can also impact the motor's performance and efficiency.