Calculating Safe Washer Diameter for 20mm Bolt in Strength of Materials Seatwork

In summary, the conversation is about finding the smallest safe diameter "d" of the washers for a 20 mm diameter bolt fastening two wooden planks together. The nut is tightened until the tensile stress in the bolt is 150 Mpa, and the working bearing stress for wood is 13 Mpa. The correct answer is 63.88 mm, but the teacher's answer of 70.80 mm contained five mistakes, including using the wrong cross-sectional area for the bolt, assuming the washer inside diameter is equal to the bolt nominal diameter, and misspelling MPa.
dtenyente
Seatwork no. 1 -------Strength of Materials----------

The 20 mm diameter bolt fastens two wooden planks together. The nut is tightened until the tensile stress in the bolt is 150 Mpa. Find the smallest safe diameter “d” of the washers, if the working bearing stress for wood is 13 Mpa.

Note: My teacher said that the
“d” = 70.80mm

My solution:
Pb = Ab Sb
P = 150 N/mm2 * ( π/14 * 20 mm2 )
P = 47,123.89 N

47,123.89 N = π/14 (d2) 13
d = 67.94
Question: My “d” is not equal to the “d” of my teacher. Pls help me.

Attachments

• new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,405
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation "P = 150 N/mm2 * ( π/14 * 20 mm2 ) " is a bit awkward.

For a circular cross-section, A = π r2 = π/4 d2, so the π/14 doesn't seem to make sense.

The load P = A * S, where A is the cross-sectional area and S is the stress.

Basically the tensile load in the bolt (shank) must equal the compressive load on the wood. But the two surface areas will be different.

So what is the geometry of a washer, and to what does diameter of a washer refer?

Well that's my main problem, maybe lack of information in the problem. I'm not sure with my solution. All of my classmates didn't get the right answer as what my teacher said. Maybe my teacher forgot to write some details in the drawing. Am i right?

dtenyente: You made a few mistakes. Here's what you computed (basically).

d = [(150/13)20^2 + 0^2]^0.5 = 67.94 mm.

Your teacher made five mistakes. Here's how he computed his answer, followed by an explanation of each mistake.

d = [(150/13.006)20^2 + 20^2]^0.5 = 70.80 mm.

(1) He divided 150 by 13.006. It appears he misread his calculator (which said 11.538), and thought it said 11.533.

(2) He used the wrong cross-sectional area of the bolt. If someone says, "The bolt tensile stress is 150 MPa," it means the tensile stress is 150 MPa on the bolt tensile stress area, not the shank. The tensile stress diameter for an M20 bolt is D = 17.655 mm, not 20 mm.

(3) He assumed the washer inside diameter is equal to the bolt nominal diameter, whereas the inside diameter of an M20 flat washer is occasionally 21 mm, but usually 22 mm, or sometimes more.

(4) He failed to state the washer inside diameter in the problem statement. Therefore, the best assumption is to use the typical inside diameter of an M20 flat washer, which appears to be 22 mm. Let's assume di = 22 mm.

(5) He misspelled MPa, or maybe that was you. You must use the correct capitalization for each letter in a unit symbol; otherwise, it generally means something else, which is wrong.

Here is the correct answer.

d = [(sigma/Sbr)D^2 + di^2]^0.5
= [(150/13)17.655^2 + 22^2]^0.5 = 63.88 mm.

1. What is the definition of strength of materials?

The strength of materials is a branch of mechanics that deals with the behavior of solid objects subjected to external forces. It involves the study of how different materials, such as metals, concrete, and wood, respond to different types of stress and strain.

2. How is strength of materials important in engineering?

The understanding of strength of materials is crucial in engineering as it helps in designing and constructing structures that can withstand different types of loads and forces. It also helps engineers in selecting the appropriate materials for a specific application based on their strength properties.

3. What are the different types of stresses that a material can experience?

The three main types of stresses that a material can experience are tension, compression, and shear. Tension is a pulling force that elongates a material, compression is a pushing force that shortens a material, and shear is a force that causes one part of a material to slide relative to another part.

4. What is the difference between strength and stiffness of a material?

Strength and stiffness are two important properties of a material. Strength refers to the ability of a material to withstand external forces without breaking, while stiffness is the resistance of a material to deformation under an applied load. In simple terms, strength is the ability to resist breaking, while stiffness is the ability to resist bending or changing shape.

5. How is the strength of a material determined?

The strength of a material is determined by conducting various tests, such as tension, compression, and shear tests, to measure its behavior under different types of stress. These tests help in determining the maximum amount of stress that a material can withstand before it fails or breaks. Engineers also use mathematical models and equations to predict the strength of materials based on their properties and behavior.