Speed of fastest electron w\ workfunction & photon energy

In summary, the book assumes prior physics and knowing constants etc which the student does not know.
fredwacko40
Hi please help me I have a test tomorrow worth 30% and I can't even work out the most basic of questions because my book assumes prior physics and knowing constants etc which I don't know!

The work function of tungsten is 4.50 eV. Calculate the speed of the fastest electrons ejected from a tungsten surface when light whose photon energy is 5.80 eV shines on the surface.

Ok so I've read all the theory and I haven't found anything under the photoelectric section converting KE to speed, I asked my friend and he said KE = (1/2)m*v^2 which didnt work. So far I have

hf = Kmax + (I) where (I) is that funny I in a O symbol
5.8 = Kmax + 4.5
Kmax = 1.3

Im assuming that's correct but please correct me if I am wrong, so I now have the max Kinetic energy but no way to convert it to speed. The back of the book says the mass of an electron is 9.109*10^-31 kg

I've also tried an equation I found on the internet:

V^2/C^2 = (2*Kmax)/mc^2 and after a little searching I found c to be the speed of light, but that returned a value of V = 68.81 which although a nice number wasnt right, 676 km/s is meant to be the answer, perhaps I just have to convert it? I think its in m/s atm though so that would make it 0.06881 km/s? That would be way off... please help me! I need to pass this test!

Physics news on Phys.org
fredwacko40 said:
hf = Kmax + (I) where (I) is that funny I in a O symbol
5.8 = Kmax + 4.5
Kmax = 1.3
Convert the energy units from eV to Joules (the usual SI units). Then you can calculate the speed using the definition of KE.

Ok so the conversion from
eV to joules is 16.02*10^-19
which gives me 2.0826*10^-19

So I plug in the numbers

((KE)/(0.5*m))^(0.5) = V
and that gives me a REALLY tiny number
which is correct but its too small!

6.76*10^-26

Is it because I am putting the mass in as Kg? Thats the first thing I am jumping to because although that's the way the book has the weight of an electron it strikes me as a silly unit for an electron!

Edit: What would be a better unit?

fredwacko40 said:
Ok so the conversion from
eV to joules is 16.02*10^-19
which gives me 2.0826*10^-19
OK.
So I plug in the numbers

((KE)/(0.5*m))^(0.5) = V
and that gives me a REALLY tiny number
which is correct but its too small!
Do this calculation over. Carefully. (Kg is the proper unit for mass; note that the mass of the electron is tiny.)

Thankyou so much! I don't know what I put in wrong the first time but I now have the correct answer :) I probably would have spent another hour on that not even realising Id already had it right but put in the wrong numbers!

1. What is the relationship between the speed of the fastest electron and the workfunction?

The speed of the fastest electron is directly related to the workfunction, which is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from a material. As the workfunction increases, the speed of the fastest electron also increases.

2. How does the speed of the fastest electron affect the efficiency of a material?

The speed of the fastest electron is a crucial factor in determining the efficiency of a material. Materials with higher speed of the fastest electron are more efficient at converting energy into electricity or other forms of energy.

3. Can the speed of the fastest electron be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any particle or object can travel. Therefore, the speed of the fastest electron cannot exceed the speed of light.

4. What is the significance of the speed of the fastest electron in photon energy?

The speed of the fastest electron is directly related to the energy of a photon. When a photon interacts with a material, it can transfer its energy to an electron, increasing its speed. Therefore, the speed of the fastest electron can help determine the energy of a photon.

5. How does the workfunction of a material affect the speed of the fastest electron?

The workfunction of a material is a measure of the energy required to remove an electron from the material. As the workfunction increases, more energy is required to remove an electron, resulting in a higher speed of the fastest electron. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of electrons in different materials.