Finding charge, voltage and resistance

In summary: Use that to solve for the resistance. In summary, a 12A current was passed through a patient's torso for 3E-3 seconds to restore it to normal beating. To determine the charge passed through the patient's body, we need to use the definition of current. To find the voltage used, we can use the relationship between energy, time, and voltage. Finally, to calculate the resistance of the path through the person, we can use the relationship between voltage and resistance.
Kathi201
A heart defibrillato passes a 12A current through a patient's torso for 3E-3 seconds to restore it to normal beating.
a. How much charge passed through the patient's body?
b. What voltage was used if a total energy of 300J was dissipated? by the current
c. What was the resistance of the path through the person?

For a I know that the current is I and I have the time and I need to figure out Q but I do not have any equations that have all three of those variables in it so I am stuck on what equation to even start with.

For b I am struggling with the same problem. I know that Voltage is equal to the current x resistance but I do not know where the energy comes into place

I know the resistance is the resistivity/A is A the area? How would I figure that out then?

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kathi201,

Kathi201 said:
A heart defibrillato passes a 12A current through a patient's torso for 3E-3 seconds to restore it to normal beating.
a. How much charge passed through the patient's body?
b. What voltage was used if a total energy of 300J was dissipated? by the current
c. What was the resistance of the path through the person?

For a I know that the current is I and I have the time and I need to figure out Q but I do not have any equations that have all three of those variables in it so I am stuck on what equation to even start with.

What is the definition of current?

For b I am struggling with the same problem. I know that Voltage is equal to the current x resistance but I do not know where the energy comes into place

What quantity can you find from knowing the energy and the time? How is that related to voltage?

I know the resistance is the resistivity/A is A the area? How would I figure that out then?

Once you find the voltage in part b, what is the relationship between voltage and resistance?

a. To find the charge that passed through the patient's body, we can use the equation Q = I x t, where Q is the charge, I is the current, and t is the time. In this case, we have I = 12A and t = 3E-3 seconds, so the charge passing through the patient's body is Q = (12A)(3E-3 seconds) = 0.036C.

b. To find the voltage used, we can use the equation E = V x I x t, where E is the energy, V is the voltage, I is the current, and t is the time. In this case, we have E = 300J, I = 12A, and t = 3E-3 seconds. Since we want to find the voltage, we can rearrange the equation to V = E/(I x t). Plugging in the values, we get V = (300J)/((12A)(3E-3 seconds)) = 25000V. So, the voltage used was 25000V.

c. To find the resistance of the path through the person, we can use the equation R = ρ x L/A, where R is the resistance, ρ is the resistivity, L is the length of the path, and A is the cross-sectional area. In this case, we have ρ = unknown, L = unknown, and A = unknown. Without knowing the specific values for these variables, we cannot calculate the resistance. However, we can estimate the resistance by using the voltage and current values we found in parts a and b. Using Ohm's law (V = I x R), we can rearrange the equation to R = V/I. Plugging in the values, we get R = (25000V)/(12A) = 2083.33Ω. So, the resistance of the path through the person is approximately 2083Ω.

1. How do you find the charge on an object?

To find the charge on an object, you can use the formula Q = ne, where Q is the charge in Coulombs, n is the number of excess or deficient electrons, and e is the elementary charge of an electron. You can also use a device called an electrometer to measure the charge directly.

2. What is the relationship between charge and voltage?

Charge and voltage are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the charge increases, the voltage also increases. The unit for voltage is Volts (V) and it is defined as the potential difference between two points in an electric field.

3. How can you measure resistance?

Resistance can be measured using a device called an ohmmeter. This device sends a small current through the material and measures the voltage drop across it. The resistance can then be calculated using Ohm's Law: R = V/I, where R is the resistance in Ohms, V is the voltage in Volts, and I is the current in Amperes.

4. What factors affect resistance?

The four main factors that affect resistance are: the length of the material, the cross-sectional area of the material, the type of material, and the temperature. Longer materials and materials with smaller cross-sectional areas have higher resistance, while materials with higher conductivity have lower resistance. Temperature also affects resistance, with most materials having higher resistance at higher temperatures.

5. How can you calculate total resistance in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. For example, if there are three resistors in series with values R1, R2, and R3, the total resistance would be R = R1 + R2 + R3. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3, where R1, R2, and R3 are the individual resistances. The reciprocal of this value is then taken to find the total resistance.