Kinetic Energy Of an rotating object

In summary, the kinetic energy of a 75-g phonograph album with a diameter of 30-cm spinning at 33.3 rpm can be calculated using the formula 1/2mv^2, where v is the angular velocity in radians per second. The moment of inertia can be used to calculate the rotational kinetic energy using the formula 1/2Iω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity in radians per second.
Duely Cack
1. A 75-g phonograph album of 30-cm diameter spins at 33.3 rpm. What is its kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Duely Cack said:
1. A 75-g phonograph album of 30-cm diameter spins at 33.3 rpm. What is its kinetic energy?

Welcome to PF.

What are your thoughts on how to go about solving it.

well i think that Kinetic Energy is 1/2mv2so is it like that but instead of v you put in the 33.3 rpm. like 1/2(75)(33.3)2 maybe?

Duely Cack said:
well i think that Kinetic Energy is 1/2mv2so is it like that but instead of v you put in the 33.3 rpm. like 1/2(75)(33.3)2 maybe?

What is the moment of inertia of the phonograph?

Using the moment of inertia what is the formula then for rotational kinetic energy?

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a scalar quantity that depends on the mass and velocity of the object.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

The kinetic energy of a rotating object can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity of the object.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of a rotating object?

The kinetic energy of a rotating object depends on its mass, moment of inertia, and angular velocity. Increasing any of these factors will increase the object's kinetic energy.

Is kinetic energy conserved in a rotating system?

Yes, kinetic energy is conserved in a rotating system as long as no external forces are acting on the system. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

How is kinetic energy related to rotational motion?

Kinetic energy and rotational motion are closely related. In a rotating object, kinetic energy is transformed into rotational energy, which is the energy of the object's motion around an axis.