Calculating Angle of Twist and Maximum Shear Stress in a Torsional Load

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the angle of twist in a prismatic bar AB of length L and solid circular cross section, loaded by a distributed torque of constant intensity t per unit distance. The equations used to solve for the angle of twist include T = tL, W = (tL^2)/2GI, and T(x) = tx, with the polar moment of inertia being equal to (pi/2)(r^4). The conversation also touches on finding the maximum shear stress in a drill pipe under torsion, using the equation shear stress = Tc/J.
aznkid310

Homework Statement

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture to upload, so I'll describe it the best that I can.

A prismatic bar AB of length L and solid circular cross section (diameter d) is loaded by a distributed torque of constant intensity t per unit distance. Determine the angle of twist W between the ends of the bar.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

d(Torque) = tdx --> Torque T = integral (from 0 to L) [tdx] = tL

W = int(0 to L) [T(x)dx/GI(x)] , where G = shear modulus, I = polar moment of inertia

Is my T(x) equal to T = tL ?

How do I find I? I realize that I = int over the area [x^2 dA], where x is the distance from the center to dA

Can i just use the formula I = [(pi)r^4]/4 for a solid bar?

Physics news on Phys.org
if the bar is prismatic it means its cross section is constant along its length.

For this case a differential twist angle will be

[tex] d \phi = \frac{T(x)dx}{GI_{polar}} [/tex]

Is my T(x) equal to T = tL ?

No, T = f(x). It's not constant for this case.

How do I find I? I realize that I = int over the area [x^2 dA], where x is the distance from the center to dA

Yes, but that will just make your work longer.

Can i just use the formula I = [(pi)r^4]/4 for a solid bar?

That formula is wrong. That's the area moment of inertia of the section. Look up the polar moment of inertia.

Last edited:
Sorry i typed it in wrong. It should be I = (pi/2)(r^4)

Could you get me started on finding T(x)?

aznkid310 said:
Could you get me started on finding T(x)?

What do you understand by "... a distributed torque of constant intensity t per unit distance..." ?

that the torque varies linearly with distance?

aznkid310 said:
that the torque varies linearly with distance?

so T(x) = ?

T(x) = tx?

W = (t/GI)int(0 to L) [ xdx]

= (tL^2)/2GI

= [16tL^2]/[(pi)Gd^4]

Last edited:
hi...how do i get the angle of twist (in radian) if the question give the revolutions number?

for more understanding, here is the question :

the ship at the surface,A has just started to drill for oil on the ocean floor at a depth of 1500m. knowing that the top of the 200-mm-diameter steel drill pipe (G=77.2GPa) rotates two complete revolutions before the drill bit at the bottom,B starts to operate, determine the maximum shear stress caused in the pipe by torsion.

i know that angle of twisT,@ = TL/JG where J= (pi/2)(c^4) ...c=outermost radius.

and when i got the T (torsion), i can use the equation ; shear stress = Tc/J.

am i correct here? i just got confuse how do i get the T..

1. What is torsion and angle of twist?

Torsion and angle of twist refer to the twisting or rotating force applied to an object, resulting in a change in its shape or orientation.

2. How is torsion and angle of twist measured?

Torsion and angle of twist can be measured using various methods, but the most common is through the use of a torsion testing machine or torque sensor.

3. What factors affect torsion and angle of twist?

The amount of torsion and angle of twist in an object is affected by its material properties, cross-sectional area, length, and the applied torque or force.

4. What is the relationship between torsion and angle of twist?

Torsion and angle of twist are directly proportional, meaning that as the applied torque or force increases, so does the angle of twist in the object.

5. What are some real-life applications of torsion and angle of twist?

Torsion and angle of twist are important in engineering and design fields, as they are used to calculate the strength and durability of various structures, such as bridges, buildings, and machinery. They are also important in medical fields, as they are used to measure the flexibility and range of motion in joints and muscles.