Theorem concerning free abelian groups

In summary, the theorem states that there exists a basis (x1,x2,...,xn) for a free abelian group G of finite rank n, and that this basis is composed of the divisors of d(i+1) for i=1,...s-1. Furthermore, the theorem states that this basis is equivalent to a given subgroup H of G.
LHS1
I spend much time to study a theorem - Let G be a nonzero free abelian group of finite rank n, and let K be a nonzero subgroup of G. Then K is free abelian of rank s smaller or equal to n. Furthermore, there exists a basis (x1,x2,...,xn) for G and positive integers d1,d2,...,ds where di divides d(i+1) for i=1,...s-1, such that (d1x1,d2x2,...dsxs) is a basis for K.(Theorem 4.19 on page 253, Fifth edition, A First Course In Abstract Algebra, by John B. Fraleigh) and I still do not understand the proof at all. Could anyone help me by explaining the proof in more detail ,elaborate and illustrate the theorem by examples.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could be specific about what you're having trouble with? (Also, not all of us have that book, so we don't know what kind of proof the author is presenting.)

Maybe it will help if you conceptually think of a free abelian group of rank n as a "vector space" over the integers of dimension n. Can you think of an analogous theorem for vector spaces?

try my free notes on my website for math 8000 and math 844. these results are as just suggested, analogous to linear vector space results. the simplest proof is to diagonalize an integer matrix.

the first part of the theorem is easily proved by induction on n, where the case n=1 follows from the fact that the integers are a principal ideal domain.

then for the second part just define a map Z^s-->Z^n with image the given subgroup, then diagonalize the matrix for this map. the integers di are the entries on the diagonal after this process.

It is hard to understand for me too. I read the proof of the above problem several times, I barely grasp the main idea though.

The toughest part is to find a concrete example.
Below is my example.

Let G be a free abelian group generated by [tex]\{x_{1}, x_{2}, x_{3}\}[/tex]. Let H be a subgroup generated by [tex]\{2x_{1}, 3x_{2}, 5x_{3}\}[/tex]. To the best of my knowledge, there is an equivalent basis of G such that the basis of a subgroup H has the divisor property.

Could anyone show me the link (free abelian group or vector space) of the available procedure or algorithm to find the equivalent basis of G that has the divisor property?

Thanks.

What is a free abelian group?

A free abelian group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and operations that satisfy certain properties. In particular, a free abelian group is a group in which the elements can be freely added and multiplied, and the order of operations does not matter.

What is the significance of the theorem concerning free abelian groups?

The theorem concerning free abelian groups is significant because it provides a way to classify and understand different types of mathematical structures. It also allows for the study of abstract concepts such as symmetry and patterns in a more concrete manner.

What are the applications of the theorem concerning free abelian groups?

The theorem concerning free abelian groups has many applications in mathematics, physics, and computer science. It is used to study symmetry in geometric shapes, analyze the structure of molecules, and design efficient algorithms for data compression and error correction.

Can the theorem concerning free abelian groups be extended to non-abelian groups?

Yes, the theorem concerning free abelian groups can be extended to non-abelian groups. However, the properties and classifications of these groups may differ from those of free abelian groups. Non-abelian groups are also important in their own right and have numerous applications in mathematics and other fields.

What are some common misconceptions about free abelian groups?

One common misconception about free abelian groups is that they can only be used in algebraic contexts. In fact, free abelian groups have a wide range of applications in various fields of mathematics and beyond. Additionally, some may mistakenly think that all free abelian groups are isomorphic, when in reality they can have different structures and properties.