Etch Rate of SOI Wafers: Exploring RIE Experiments

• Thread starter Excom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Etching
In summary, the etch rate on a SOI wafer is reduced to 10 nm/min when compared to a Si wafer. The etch rate may be lowered because of a change in thermal conductivity.
Excom
Hi

I am trying to make a Si nanowire MOSFET and in this process I have to etch the toplayer of a SOI wafer.

I have made some reactive ion etching (RIE) experiments on Si wafers and obtained an etch rate of 550 nm/min. SF6 have been used as the feedstock gas.

However, when trying to etch the to Si layer on a SOI wafer the etch rate is reduced to 10 nm/min. Is there anyone that can explain this lowering of the etch rate when going form a Si wafer to a SOI wafer? Or is there anyone that have a good recipe for RIE etching of SOI wafers?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I wonder if charging of the top layer is affecting the etch process. What's your biasing setup (e.g., DC, RF)?

CF4 is another very common etch gas for silicon, but you may encounter the same problem.

I am using a RF plasma.

I will try to exchange the SF6 with CF6 and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

Hmm, RF should get around any problems with non-conductive layers. The buried oxide is somewhat of a thermal insulator, but that should only speed up etching if the top silicon layer is getting hotter than a regular wafer would. I'm stumped.

Maybe the CF4 will work well, and in any case it's good experience to try another etch recipe. Usually some oxygen is added to react with any deposited carbon. Hopefully a characterized recipe already exists for your tool.

are you using RIE or DRIE (passivation steps)?

I am using RIE

Any progress?

the lowering of the etch rate could be due to a change in thermal conductivity since now the flim is on a different substrate and the oxide has a lower thermal conductivity. did your etch geometry change? etch rate also changes with geometry of exposed area due to the loading effect.

I have had no progress with the etching.

One solution could be that I try to use a ICP RIE system instead of a RIE system.

Lower thermal conductivity. Why should a lower thermal conductivity result in a lower etching rate? A higher temperature will probably only increase the etch rate or is there something that I am not aware of?

The geometry that I am trying to etch on the SOI wafer is the same as the one on the SI wafer.

1. What is the etch rate of SOI wafers?

The etch rate of SOI (Silicon on Insulator) wafers varies depending on the type of etching process used. However, on average, the etch rate can range from 30-500 nanometers per minute.

2. How does the etch rate of SOI wafers change with different etching conditions?

The etch rate of SOI wafers is affected by several factors, including the type of etching gas used, the pressure and temperature of the etching chamber, and the power of the etching source. Generally, a higher gas pressure and higher power will result in a faster etch rate, while a lower gas pressure and lower power will result in a slower etch rate.

3. What is the most common etching method for SOI wafers?

The most commonly used etching method for SOI wafers is Reactive Ion Etching (RIE). This process uses a plasma of reactive gases to etch the silicon layer, and can achieve a high etch rate with good selectivity and anisotropy.

4. How does the thickness of the silicon layer affect the etch rate of SOI wafers?

The etch rate of SOI wafers is inversely proportional to the thickness of the silicon layer. This means that a thicker silicon layer will result in a slower etch rate, while a thinner silicon layer will result in a faster etch rate. This is because the etching gases have to travel a longer distance to reach the bottom of the silicon layer, resulting in a longer etching time for thicker wafers.

5. What are some potential challenges when measuring the etch rate of SOI wafers?

Measuring the etch rate of SOI wafers can be challenging due to factors such as non-uniformity of the etching process, surface roughness, and the presence of a thin oxide layer on the silicon surface. Additionally, the choice of etching gas and the etching conditions can also affect the accuracy of the etch rate measurement. Careful experimental design and data analysis are necessary to obtain accurate and reliable etch rate measurements.