Deflection of a beam with non-uniform section

In summary, the conversation discusses finding deflections at force acting points in a non-uniform beam. The person asking for help has tried using uniform diameter and applying loads at positions 1 and 2, but is struggling to find the deflections at those points. The conversation suggests looking into singularity functions and using beam elements to solve the problem.
vichu_vv
Hello all,
How to find deflections at force acting points in a non-uniform beam?. Please look at the figure. Thank you.

Best regards

Attachments

• Farge_Physik_Forum_Zeich.jpg
    Farge_Physik_Forum_Zeich.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,582
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this homework? We cannot ethically solve the problem for you, but knowing more about what you have tried already will help us see what you need help with.

No, this is not a homework. I have tried with uniform diameter to the whole length of the beam. I am applying loads simultaneously at positions of 1 and 2. I have gone thro the following formulas to find the deflections at 1 and 2 with only one force at a time.

fFi = fFi1 + fFi2

i - load position
1 - deflection at position 1
2 - deflection at position 2

Deflection formula when loads at midspan: (used uniform dia.)
y(x) = (Fx^2/6EI)*(3a-x) for 0<x<=a
y(x) = (Fa^276EI)*(3x-a) for a<x<=l

Thank you. Anymore links or supports from you to make me more clear. Thanks

The easy way to solve this problem is with beam elements. Failing that, the way to solve it is to consider two beam problems, where each beam is of constant cross section. The loads from the beam on the right can be transferred to produce and equivalent shear and moment at the interface to load the beam on the left. Then the boundary conditions between the two problems have to be matched to assure displacement and slope continuity across the interface. It is a messy problem, but it is entirely doable.

1. What is deflection of a beam with non-uniform section?

Deflection of a beam with non-uniform section refers to the bending or curvature of a beam that has varying cross-sectional dimensions throughout its length.

2. How is deflection calculated for beams with non-uniform section?

There are several methods for calculating deflection in beams with non-uniform section, including the moment area method, the conjugate beam method, and the virtual work method. Each method involves specific equations and considerations for the varying cross-sectional dimensions.

3. What factors affect the deflection of a beam with non-uniform section?

The deflection of a beam with non-uniform section is affected by several factors, including the material properties, the magnitude and location of applied loads, the shape and dimensions of the beam, and the boundary conditions.

4. How does the deflection of a beam with non-uniform section compare to that of a beam with uniform section?

The deflection of a beam with non-uniform section is generally greater than that of a beam with uniform section for the same applied load. This is due to the varying stiffness of the beam along its length.

5. What are some practical applications of deflection of beams with non-uniform section?

Deflection of beams with non-uniform section is an important consideration in the design and analysis of various structures, such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft. It is also relevant in the fields of mechanical and civil engineering, as well as in material science and manufacturing processes.