What is the voltage drop across a diode when it is reverse biased?

In summary, the conversation discusses the voltage drop across a diode when it is reverse biased. One person is struggling to understand the concept and is seeking clarification from others. They also discuss the use of diodes and how they work in different circuits. The conversation concludes with an explanation of the ideal diode equation and how it relates to the circuit in question.
NotStine
Hi guys,

I have a very simple question but which is messing with my mind.

I'm trying to figure out the voltage drop across a diode when it is reverse biased, and I'm just not getting anywhere. Can someone please take a look at the attached image and explain to me what the voltage drop across the diode will be and why?

I just cannot get my head around this topic. Actually I'm not even sure if this diode will be reverse biased lol. That's the kind of level I'm currently at. If +5V goes from the anode side, that makes it forward biased right? But then there is +3V coming from the cathode side making it reverse biased?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,937
Engineering news on Phys.org
Normal silicon diodes have 0.6 v drop. Some of the blue or UV LED have 4.5 v drop.

where is this diode used?

this diode is not hooked up in reverse. The 5 volt side is more positive than the 3 volt side, and the diode is orientated in a forward biased fashion (current can flow through it) if that's how you want to look at it.

If the diode was in backwards, ideally no current would flow through it, so it would be open, and the there would be no voltage drop. It would be like measuring before and after the diode with nothing being there. It looks like this diode is in a circuit with something else as well, and the voltage drop is 2 volts. So I am guessing that the diode has a 2 volt drop, or break over point.

So if the anode side was less positive (e.g. +3V) than the cathode side (e.g. +5V), the diode would not conduct?

I took the above diode from the AND gate circuit below. I cannot figure out how this circuit works. I'm going to run through what I understand of it, and if somebody can please correct me if my analysis is wrong.

+5V goes goes to A,B and C (in green) because they are all parallel branchs and the same voltage is present at the top of parallel branchs. All of the diodes will conduct because +5V is more positive than +3V, +2V and +1V. The voltage drop across each diode will be 0.6V. So how is it that this circuit works? If all diodes conduct, isn't V = 0?

The correct answer is V = 1V, I = 4mA.

Some insight into this issue will be greately appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• AND gate.jpg
    AND gate.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 2,224
The ideal diode equation is

I = I0 exp[eV/kT]

where I = forward output current
e =electron charge
k = Boltzmann's constant
T = temperature in kelvin
V = forward voltage

so

V = (kT/e) Ln(I/I0)

where kT/e = 26 mV at room temp.

The reverse current is I0

NotStine said:
So if the anode side was less positive (e.g. +3V) than the cathode side (e.g. +5V), the diode would not conduct?

I took the above diode from the AND gate circuit below. I cannot figure out how this circuit works. I'm going to run through what I understand of it, and if somebody can please correct me if my analysis is wrong.

+5V goes goes to A,B and C (in green) because they are all parallel branchs and the same voltage is present at the top of parallel branchs. All of the diodes will conduct because +5V is more positive than +3V, +2V and +1V. The voltage drop across each diode will be 0.6V. So how is it that this circuit works? If all diodes conduct, isn't V = 0?

The correct answer is V = 1V, I = 4mA.

Some insight into this issue will be greately appreciated. Thanks.

The diode connected to "1V" will cause the voltage at A, B, and C to be at about 1.6 to 1.7 V. So, the diodes connected to 2V and 3V will be reverse-biased and not conduct appreciably.

EDIT: reading your post more carefully, it looks like they take diode the voltage drop to be zero when forward-conducting. So while V will be 1.6 to 1.7 V in reality, it would be 1V in this idealized scenario.

The reason the first diagram is confusing is that such a situation cannot exist.
If a diode had 2 volts across it in the forward direction, it will normally fail (or has already failed).

Diodes with a series resistor to limit the current will normally have about 0.6 Volt across them (for silicon diodes).
If the source of voltage is less than this for silicon diodes or if it is negative and below the breakdown voltage of the diode, the current flow is essentially zero.
Power diodes conducting very large currents will sometimes have diode voltage drops of up to 1 volt.

1. What is voltage drop across a diode?

Voltage drop across a diode is the difference in potential between the anode (positive terminal) and the cathode (negative terminal) of the diode. It is caused by the forward biasing of the diode, which allows current to flow through it.

2. How is voltage drop across a diode calculated?

Voltage drop across a diode can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. The voltage drop can also be determined by using the diode's characteristic curve, which shows the relationship between current and voltage.

3. What is the typical voltage drop across a diode?

The typical voltage drop across a diode is around 0.7 volts for silicon diodes and 0.3 volts for germanium diodes. However, this value can vary depending on the type of diode and the amount of current flowing through it.

4. Why is there a voltage drop across a diode?

The voltage drop across a diode is caused by the depletion region, which is formed at the junction between the p-type and n-type semiconductor materials. This region acts as a barrier to the flow of current, resulting in a voltage drop.

5. How does temperature affect the voltage drop across a diode?

As temperature increases, the voltage drop across a diode also increases. This is because the increased temperature causes more electron-hole pairs to be generated, leading to a larger current flow and a higher voltage drop. However, the exact relationship between temperature and voltage drop may vary depending on the type of diode.