Impossable with a pump to suck water from a lake

In summary, the conversation discusses the impossibility of using a pump to suck water from a lake if the pump is placed 15 meters above the water. This is due to gravity, as pumps can only remove air or water from a line and the ambient air pressure pushes the water up. The maximum height a pump can suck water is around 10 meters, as shown by a mercury barometer.
JBemp
Hiya
my question is

Why is it impossible with a pump to suck water from a lake if you place the pump 15 meters above the water

I think it has somthing to do with gravity but if anyone could explain it in detail that would be great

Physics news on Phys.org

Well yes the water is held down by gravity.

yes but i was thinking what stops me from making a pump so large the i can pump anyways

Pumps don't suck. They can only remove the air/water that is already in the line. Then the ambient air pressure pushes the water up. 14.7 psi = 33 feet of water= 10m of water.

Have you ever looked at a mercury barometer where the column of mercury is about 760 mm (millimeters) high, with vacuum above the column, and air pressure pushing from the bottom? There is no way that the suction (vacuum) can be made any better. Because the mercury density is 13.6 times higher than water, the absolute max column of water an ideal pump can suck is 760 mm x 13.6 = 10.34 meters (at sea level).

1. Can a pump really extract water from a lake?

Yes, a pump is designed to create suction and draw in water from its surrounding environment. This allows it to extract water from a lake, river, or any other body of water.

2. Is it really impossible to use a pump to suck water from a lake?

No, it is not impossible. In fact, pumps are commonly used to extract water from lakes for various purposes such as irrigation, drinking water, and industrial processes.

3. How exactly does a pump suck water from a lake?

A pump works by creating a partial vacuum through the use of an impeller or a piston. As the impeller or piston moves, it creates a low pressure zone that draws water into the pump from the surrounding lake.

4. Are there any limitations to using a pump to extract water from a lake?

While pumps are effective in extracting water from lakes, there are some limitations to consider. These may include the depth of the lake, the type of pump being used, and the availability of power sources.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a pump to extract water from a lake?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to extract water from a lake such as using a gravity-fed system, a siphon, or a well. However, pumps are often the most efficient and reliable option for extracting large quantities of water from a lake.