Optimizing Integration: Sketching vs. Graphing for Type I, II, and III Problems

• Thread starter mathrocks
  • Start date
In summary, when using double or triple integration to find volume or area, graphing the region (r) and the domain (d) is the best way to determine if it is a type I, II, or III problem. These are just names for how the limits of integration are set up. Type I is when the limits are defined by x-values and type II is when the limits are defined by y-values. Sketching the region can make it easier to determine which type to use, but it is not necessary.
mathrocks
If you want to find volume or area using double/triple integration, is graphing the (r) and (d) the only way to see if it is a type I, II, or III problem? I'm not really good at sketching planes so I'm having great difficulty finding the answer. But when it is already setup I can do it easily.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are type I, II, III? never heard of that before.

fourier jr said:
What are type I, II, III? never heard of that before.

They are just names for how we setup the limits of integration. A type one for double integration is when D={(x,y)| a<=x<=b, g1(x)<=y<=g2(x)}

Type II is D={(x,y)| c <= x <= d, h1(y) <= x <= h2(y)}

that depend upon how well u set up the problem, but skecthing helps

Couldn't you choose? For example, for a double integral, where the region to integrate over is the triangle with vertices (0,0), (2,0), (0,1), the region could be set with:

D = {x,y : 0 <= y <= -x/2 + 1 , 0 <= x <= 2} (type 1)

or:

D = {x,y : 0 <= x = 2y + 2 , 0 <= y <= 1} (type 2).

But then of course to see the limiting function for either of these, sketching helps.

What is sketching and why is it important?

Sketching is the process of creating a rough drawing or design of an idea or concept. It is important because it allows for visualizing and exploring ideas before committing to a final product.

Is sketching the only way to communicate ideas?

No, sketching is not the only way to communicate ideas. Other methods such as writing, verbal communication, and digital tools can also be used.

How does sketching benefit the scientific process?

Sketching can help scientists to visually represent complex ideas or data, making it easier to understand and analyze. It can also aid in brainstorming and problem-solving.

Do all scientists need to know how to sketch?

No, sketching is not a required skill for all scientists. However, it can be a helpful tool for those in fields such as biology, engineering, and architecture.

Can sketching improve creativity?

Yes, sketching can improve creativity by allowing for the exploration of different ideas and concepts. It can also help in generating new ideas and problem-solving techniques.