Best Spur Gears for Ratio .31 under .5" Width, 2.4" OD

• Thread starter SlimJ87D
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear
In summary, the conversation is about finding suitable gears for a design. The gears need to have a ratio of .31, be no wider than .5", made of steel, and have an outside diameter of no more than 2.4". The individual suggests checking out McMaster Carr, Boston Gear, and Stock Drive Products for options. The conversation ends with the individual expressing gratitude for the helpful suggestion and mentioning the need to calculate failure for the gears to withstand a load of 300lbs.
SlimJ87D
Mcmaster carr's gears are a bit too wide for my design.

I need a pair of gears to have a ratio of .31, that is around .7" to 2.38"

The widths for the gears can not be any larger than .5" and ideally even less, at Mcmaster Carr they are about 1"

Have to be made of steel.

Cannot be any larger than 2.4" outside diameter.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Boston Gear used to offer a variety of spur gears. Not sure now, but might be worth checking.

Give Stock Drive Products a try.

http://www.sdp-si.com/index.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
FredGarvin said:
Give Stock Drive Products a try.

http://www.sdp-si.com/index.asp

Wow, thank you very much man, they have a very nice wide selection that I have never seen before. I'm sure I will find it here.

Now to just calculate the failure because I need my gears to survive a simple load of 300lbs. I am building a type of vice to break small samples of metal, quite opposite of what a vice does.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are spur gears and how are they used?

Spur gears are a type of mechanical gear that have straight teeth and are used to transmit power and motion between two parallel shafts. They are commonly used in machinery and vehicles to change the speed and direction of rotation between two components.

What is the significance of a gear ratio of .31 and a width under .5 inches in spur gears?

The gear ratio is the ratio of the number of teeth between two gears and determines the speed and torque of the output shaft. A gear ratio of .31 means that for every rotation of the input gear, the output gear will rotate 0.31 times. The width of the gear is important for determining the overall size and strength of the gear system.

What is the optimal outer diameter (OD) for spur gears with a .31 gear ratio and under .5 inch width?

The optimal OD for spur gears will vary depending on the specific application and requirements. However, for a gear ratio of .31 and a width under .5 inches, an OD of 2.4 inches is a common and efficient choice.

What materials are commonly used to make the best spur gears with a .31 gear ratio and under .5 inch width?

Spur gears can be made from a variety of materials, including steel, brass, aluminum, and plastic. For a gear ratio of .31 and a width under .5 inches, steel or brass are often preferred for their strength and durability.

What factors should be considered when selecting the best spur gears for a specific application?

When selecting spur gears, it is important to consider the gear ratio, width, outer diameter, material, and any other specific requirements of the application. It is also important to ensure that the gears are properly designed and manufactured to ensure efficient and reliable performance.