Jackson electrodynamics exercise

I got confused with the term "central frequency" used in some other contexts. In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of an electron in a helix and how to calculate its position vector and emitted radiation in different reference frames. The solution involves using a Lorentz transformation to find the position vector in a moving frame, calculating the peak frequency of the emitted radiation, and using equation 14.38 to calculate the angular distribution of power.
qasdc

Homework Statement

An electron moves in a helix : [tex]\vec{r}(t)=v_{z}t \hat{z}+a e^{i\omega_{0}t}(\hat{x}-i\hat{y})[/tex], where [tex]a[/tex] is the radius of the helix and [tex]v_{z}[/tex] the relativistic z-component of the velocity.
1) Find the position vector of the electron in a system of reference that is moving with velocity [tex]v_{z}\hat{z}[/tex]
2) Find the central frequency of radiation that the electron emits in the [tex]\hat{z}[/tex] direction in the laboratory reference frame.
3)Calculate the angular distribution of the power of radiation, [tex]\frac{dP(t')}{d\Omega}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Jackson 3rd edition, chapter 14 (par. 14.4)

The Attempt at a Solution

1) is easy, just a lorentz transformation to find [tex]\vec{r}'(t')[/tex]. It turns out that in the moving frame [tex]\vec{r}'(t')[/tex] has no z-component. So in that frame it actually moves in a circle rather than a helix.

For 2)I have no idea.

3)I can maybe calculate [tex]\frac{dP(t')}{d\Omega}[/tex] from equation 14.38 but I am not sure

Any ideas? Especially for 2)...

Physics news on Phys.org
For 2), what about calculating in the frame from 1), and then transforming to the lab frame?

For 3), why is the t primed?

turin,

2) yes but what does "central frequency" means and how do I calculate it?

3) If you check Jackson (3rd edition page 668), t' refers to the moving particle's own time.

I thought that central frequency would just mean peak frequency. However, after reading Chapter 14, I didn't see the term "central frequency" used once. Maybe I missed it. Or maybe "critical frequency". I don't know. If I had to solve this problem, I would assume peak frequency.

You are right, it's just peak frequency

1. What is the purpose of the Jackson electrodynamics exercise?

The purpose of the Jackson electrodynamics exercise is to provide an opportunity for students to practice applying the principles and equations of electromagnetism to solve problems and deepen their understanding of the subject.

2. How difficult is the Jackson electrodynamics exercise?

The difficulty level of the Jackson electrodynamics exercise can vary depending on the individual's understanding of the subject and their problem-solving skills. It is generally considered to be a challenging exercise that requires a solid foundation in electromagnetism.

3. How long does it take to complete the Jackson electrodynamics exercise?

The time it takes to complete the Jackson electrodynamics exercise can vary depending on the number and complexity of the problems assigned. It can range from a few hours to several days.

4. Are there any tips for successfully completing the Jackson electrodynamics exercise?

Some tips for successfully completing the Jackson electrodynamics exercise include reviewing fundamental concepts, practicing with similar problems beforehand, and breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps.

5. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of electromagnetism to complete the Jackson electrodynamics exercise?

Yes, it is necessary to have a strong understanding of electromagnetism in order to successfully complete the Jackson electrodynamics exercise. Prior knowledge of topics such as Maxwell's equations, electric and magnetic fields, and electromagnetic waves is essential.