Calculating Black Hole Mass Gain from X-ray Emissions of Binary Systems

In summary, when a black hole and a normal star orbit each other, gases from the normal star can increase in temperature due to frictional heating, emitting X-rays. Cygnus X-1 is a binary system that is thought to be one such source, with an estimated power of 4.00x10^31 W. Assuming that 0.84% of the in-falling mass escapes as X-ray energy, the black hole is gaining mass at a rate of 5.247x10^16 kg/s.
ndoc

Homework Statement

If a black hole and a "normal" star orbit each other, gases from the normal star falling into the black hole can have their temperature increased by millions of degrees due to frictional heating. When the gases are heated that much, they begin to radiate light in the X-ray region of the electromagnetic spectrum (high-energy light photons). Cygnus X-1, the second strongest known X-ray source in the sky, is thought to be one such binary system; it radiates at an estimated power of 4.00x10^31 W. If we assume that 0.84 percent of the in-falling mass escapes as X ray energy, at what rate is the black hole gaining mass?

Homework Equations

E=m*c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Wondering if someone could verify this because this question confuses me.

I'm assuming that the black hole absorbs 100-.84=99.16% of the power.

I take 4.00x10^31 * .9916 = 3.9664x10^31 J

Using E=m*c^2 => m = 3.9664x10^31/((3x10^8)^2) = 4.407x10^4 kg/s

Does this seem a logical conclusion, am I interpreting the question correctly? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not right. The 4.00x10^31 W isn't the total power but only 0.84% of it. The other 99.16% goes into the hole.

Right, which is why I take 4x10^31*.9916 to get the J absorbed by the black hole per second. Am I right in doing so, or am I doing something wrong?

Ok I see now,

Total*.0084 = 4x10^31

Mass entering per second = 4x10^31*.9916/.0084 = 4.72x10^33

4.72x10^33 / ((3x10^8)^2) = 5.247x10^16 kg/s is the right answer, thanks for the help!

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational force is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself at the end of its life.

How does a black hole gain mass?

A black hole can gain mass through the process of accretion. This is when matter, such as gas or dust, falls into the black hole's gravitational pull and is pulled towards the center. As the matter gets closer to the black hole, it speeds up and heats up, emitting radiation. This radiation is what we can detect and use to study black holes.

What happens when a black hole gains mass?

As a black hole gains mass, its gravitational pull becomes stronger. This means that it can pull in more matter, causing it to grow even larger. As the black hole grows, its event horizon (the point of no return for anything that gets too close) also increases in size.

How do scientists measure the mass of a black hole?

Scientists can measure the mass of a black hole by observing the behavior of objects around it. For example, if a star is orbiting around a black hole, its speed and distance from the black hole can be used to calculate the mass of the black hole. Other methods include studying the gravitational lensing effect and analyzing the X-ray emissions from matter falling into the black hole.

Is it possible for a black hole to lose mass?

Yes, it is possible for a black hole to lose mass through a process called Hawking radiation. This is when particles and anti-particles are created near the event horizon of a black hole. One of the particles falls into the black hole, while the other escapes. This causes the black hole to gradually lose mass over time.