Have you ever lost interest in physics?

In summary: What is turning you away from physics? In summary, it seems like you lost interest in it because it became mundane and boring.
drizzle
Gold Member
Have you ever lost interest in physics?!

I’m afraid I have:cry:. I mean I suppose to hand in my thesis last month, but after working as a TA and meeting lots of ‘nerds’ I just lost interest in physics, I know it’s stupid but I couldn’t overcome the feeling, and I don't know what causes it. it’s almost like I never care anymore about physics. I used to do physics out of challenge, just to prove to others/myself that I can do it, and I did, I get a high GPA and I get a lot of credit from profs and colleagues. what in the hell is this?!

Physics news on Phys.org

I lost interest after my introd to geophysics course...and now I know why I chose geology over geophysics.

drizzle said:
what in the hell is this?!

I used to do physics out of challenge, just to prove to others/myself that I can do it, and I did, I get a high GPA and I get a lot of credit from profs and colleagues.

rootX said:

you mean I reach my goal, and there’s no point of doing it anymore:cry::cry:

Try geophysics. You get to use all your physics IQ to explore the inner workings of the planet. Maybe someday an oil company will come calling and offer you $80,000 to work for them./////////////////////////

Go for astrophysics. All the wonder of astronomy explored with physics.

Or you could be more detailed and tell us

(1) Why you decided to major in physics in the first place.

(2) Why you thought physics was "cool."

(3) What exactly is turning you away from physics?

drizzle said:
you mean I reach my goal, and there’s no point of doing it anymore:cry::cry:

I understood you were trying to excel in physics just to prove to others that you are good at it. Motivation from those kind of things doesn't last long.
I remember applying for physics in the final year of high school and getting acceptance letters. But, I changed my application to Engineering. I am very happy with my choice because I love being practical.

Drizzle do you want to be interested in physics? I can assume by the thread that you have some disappointment that you came to this conclusion.

I lost interest a long time ago with physics minutiae and tedious droning. I would guess that what I call significant physics theories comprise at most 20% of those presently. However, my Master's degree provided me with a lot of beautiful, mostly straightforward yet interesting physics.

Never in my life will i... Actually, 90% of what fills my satisfaction is anything real and amazing about physics, science , technology and the like.. Always watching "Tomorrow Today" has been a part of my daily life. (source: Lhonignacio.wap9.mobi)

It takes a different kind to test 10,000 different lightbulbs to find the right one. The kind that cares for nothing but the best of the best in some random unimportant area.

Pinu7 said:
Or you could be more detailed and tell us

(1) Why you decided to major in physics in the first place.

(2) Why you thought physics was "cool."

(3) What exactly is turning you away from physics?

I never thought it was cool! in fact, I used to hate it, and score the lowest mark in it. but after challenging myself and as I go through the different courses I start to like it…what turn me away from physics? I don’t know! I just guessed that I might lost interest. however, if you ask me to dump it, that’ll be like having a heart attack. I sure still like physics. could it be that I’m just afraid of not being competitive enough and leave my print :(

Beacause physics is empty and boring on it's own. Become an engineer and then you can use your physics knowledge to generate useful things for everyone ;)

drizzle said:
I never thought it was cool! in fact, I used to hate it, and score the lowest mark in it. but after challenging myself and as I go through the different courses I start to like it…what turn me away from physics? I don’t know! I just guessed that I might lost interest. however, if you ask me to dump it, that’ll be like having a heart attack. I sure still like physics. could it be that I’m just afraid of not being competitive enough and leave my print :(

It kind of sounds like you never really liked it a lot in the first place, but were more interested in the challenge of proving you could do it in spite of that.

Sometimes it's also just that you realize the subject isn't quite what you anticipated it would include.

It does happen, and you wouldn't be the first person to realize part-way through obtaining a degree that they no longer enjoy the subject they've been studying for so long. It's time to do some real deep thinking about what you enjoy, what you don't enjoy, what gets you up in the morning, etc., and try to find a new focus if it's not physics anymore.

drizzle said:
I’m afraid I have:cry:. I mean I suppose to hand in my thesis last month, but after working as a TA and meeting lots of ‘nerds’ I just lost interest in physics, I know it’s stupid but I couldn’t overcome the feeling, and I don't know what causes it. it’s almost like I never care anymore about physics. I used to do physics out of challenge, just to prove to others/myself that I can do it, and I did, I get a high GPA and I get a lot of credit from profs and colleagues. what in the hell is this?!

Actually, i can somehow relate to your story here. I studied physics in college and went on to do a phd in computational physics (DFT). During the second year i really got tired of the subject. I started to do some serious thinking as to "what i really wanted to do".

Well, my main professional interest is basically management and finances. That's why i work in a bank since sept 2007. I found out that my dream is to become some big shot ceo of a major financial institution. Although physics is not necessary in this field, i must admit that the physics degree gave me some major advantages when it comes to analyzing problems quickly etc...

marlon

i got back to physics after I've found two papers ( mostly undiscussed)
by Douglas Pinnow : Our resonant Universe , where particle masses are calculated from basic principles
and google for 'arxiv relativistic change of matter/space', open your mind and read : no space expansion, no BB, no dark matter, and everything fits.
the future of physics is brilliant,
from now on we have a clear path to make PHYSICAL reasonings instead of 'magic darkness'.

1. What caused you to lose interest in physics?

I have not lost interest in physics as it is my passion and career. However, like any other subject or field, there may be times when I may feel less motivated or enthusiastic. This could be due to various personal or external factors such as burnout, lack of challenging opportunities, or distractions.

2. How did you regain your interest in physics?

If I do ever feel like I am losing interest in physics, I try to identify the root cause and address it. This could involve taking a break, seeking new challenges or projects, or finding ways to connect with the subject in a different way. I also remind myself of my initial passion for physics and the impact it has on the world.

3. Did losing interest in physics affect your career?

As a scientist, it is important to stay curious and motivated, but it is also normal to have ups and downs in our interests. However, losing interest in physics does not necessarily mean that I have to give up my career. I can always find ways to reignite my passion or explore other areas of science that may interest me.

4. Have you ever struggled with balancing your interest in physics with other aspects of your life?

As with any career, it can sometimes be challenging to balance work and personal life. However, I believe that having a passion for my work helps me prioritize and manage my time effectively. I also make sure to take breaks and engage in activities outside of physics to maintain a healthy work-life balance.

5. What advice do you have for someone who may be losing interest in physics?

If you find yourself losing interest in physics, my advice would be to take a step back and reflect on why that may be happening. Talk to your peers or mentors, and consider seeking new opportunities or challenges. You can also try to find ways to connect with the subject in a different way, such as attending conferences or workshops, or collaborating with others in the field. Above all, remember that it is normal to have ups and downs in your interests, and it is important to not give up on your passion for science.