How Small Can Accelerators Detect Particles?

In summary: There is no experimental evidence that I'm aware of that constrains its size to be 1e-15 meters.In summary, the size of objects that can be resolved using a probing beam is dependent on the wavelength of the beam. In the case of the Geiger-Marsden Experiment, the probing beam had a velocity of 1.5e7 m/s and a mass of 6.64e-27 kg. The resulting momentum was calculated to be 9.97e13 kg*m/s, which was then used to determine the wavelength to be 6.65e-15m. This is roughly the size of an electron, as determined by orders of magnitude estimates. However, there is no experimental evidence
crybllrd

Homework Statement

the wavelength of the probing beam must be approximately the same as the size of objects we want to resolve. For each of the accelerators described below, determine the smallest size objects that are resolvable and name an object roughly that small, remembering that these are order-of-magnitude estimates.
(a) In the radioactive decay of radium, most emitted [tex]\alpha[/tex]particles (4He nuclei) travel at 1.5 ×10^7 m/s. This is what was used in the Geiger-Marsden Experiment.
(there are actually four questions, but I am trying to make sure I am on the right track)

Homework Equations

p=[tex]\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/tex]

p=[tex]\frac{h}{\lambda}[/tex]

[tex]\lambda[/tex]=[tex]\frac{h}{p}[/tex]

where h = Planck's constant

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry, I am not too good with LATEX references...

a) v= 1.5e7 m/s
m=6.64e-27 kg

p=[tex]\frac{(6.64e-27 kg)(1.5e7 m/s)}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(1.5e7 m/s)^{2}}{3e8m/s^{2}}}}
[/tex]

I solve this equation to get momentum 9.97e20 kg*m/s, then plug it into the next formula to find the wavelength:
[tex]\lambda[/tex]=[tex]\frac{6.626 J*s}{9.97e20 kg*m/s}[/tex]

I get this answer:

[tex]\lambda[/tex]=6.65e-55

which is much smaller than an electron, quark or a string.

Surely I did something wrong, but I can't find my mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
Redo the momentum calculation. Your value of order 1020 kg m/s is absurdly large for an alpha particle.

*** Additional comment on edit ***
Also your value of h is missing the appropriate powers of 10.

Last edited:
Thanks so much. I missed the math error, I didn't have the negative sign for the scientific notation.
I now have the answer of 6.65e-15m, which is about the size (as far as orders of magnitude go) of an electron.
That was the answer I was looking for!
Thanks again

Where does it say electrons are 10^-15 m across? Electrons, as far as we know, have 0 size. Experiments have certainly constrained its radius to no larger than 10^-18 m.

Note, that link actually says electrons are somewhere between 0 and 1e-15 meters.

What is the relationship between wavelength and resolution?

The shorter the wavelength of a wave, the higher the resolution. This means that shorter wavelengths can distinguish between smaller details and provide clearer images or data.

How does wavelength affect the quality of an image?

The shorter the wavelength, the higher the resolution and thus, the better the image quality will be. This is because shorter wavelengths can capture smaller details, leading to a sharper and more detailed image.

What is the difference between spatial resolution and spectral resolution?

Spatial resolution refers to the ability to distinguish between two points or objects in an image, while spectral resolution refers to the ability to distinguish between different wavelengths of light. In other words, spatial resolution is related to the clarity of an image, while spectral resolution is related to the range of colors or wavelengths that can be detected.

How does the size of the detector affect the resolution of an image?

The size of the detector plays a crucial role in the resolution of an image. A larger detector will typically have a higher resolution because it can capture more light and provide more detailed information about the image. On the other hand, a smaller detector may have a lower resolution and produce a less detailed image.

What is the diffraction limit and how does it impact resolution?

The diffraction limit is the smallest detail that can be resolved by a lens or optical system. It is determined by the wavelength of light and the aperture of the system. If the diffraction limit is smaller than the size of the detail being observed, it will not be resolved and will appear blurred in the image. This means that the diffraction limit can limit the resolution of an image, especially for longer wavelengths of light.